New Gunite Pool - Carroll County MD - PICTURES

Apr 9, 2015
Carroll County/MD
I've been reading the forum for a few years and finally decided to pull the trigger and move forward with our gunite inground pool.

Specs:

35X15 with 15X5 tan ledge and 6X2 swim out love seat
3.5' - 7.5' deep
jump rock
Pentair equipment with heater and VS pump
Dig Date: 3/30/15
Plumbing: 4/2/15
Rebar: 4/6/15
Gunite: 4/8/15

So far the build is going OK. Our PB is a large reputable builder but isn't very good at communicating scheduling changes. They also don't supervise their subs. We had a few days where subs just didn't show and no one let us know. We made a few last minute changes to the plans before the dig and the PB didn't pass them on to the gunite crew. If I didn't mention them, the pool may have been built incorrectly. Luckily my OCD didn't allow this to happen :D

Our gunite was shot in the rain which made me nervous but they insist it is OK. I posted some pictures and wanted some feedback on the gunite..... Thanks in advance...

View attachment 35198View attachment 35199View attachment 35200View attachment 35201View attachment 35202

Thanks!!

Just got word from the PB and they said tile and coping won't be scheduled for a couple weeks or longer??? They also said that is the next step before electric, decking, etc. Meaning the pool is going to sit for at least 2 weeks before anything else gets done. I know the gunite needs 28 days to cure but is it unreasonable to expect other work to get done in the mean time? Also, I don't like the "or longer" part of the answer. Is it unreasonable for me to ask for a tile an coping date even if it is 2-3 weeks out? Any help from those with experience is appreciated....

Generally good to let the shell sit for some time before tile/coping. Ours said the same though you'll see some PBs that do it quickly. Most things are not unreasonable to ask but I doubt they will give you a date that means anything, maybe just one to appease you. Scheduling subs is like herding cats, especially that far out.
Looks great and perfect timing for MD.

Yes, those are fine, they will get filled with plaster. No problem.

Please update your signature and location as described here, What we need to know to answer your questions

Asking your PB for dates is not unreasonable. But, keep in mind that they are estimates and not guaranteed dates. There are a lot of factors outside of contractor's control that can/will put them behind their estimated dates.

Need advice. Called the PB to check on coping date since it has been a week since gunite and they said "still a couple weeks or longer". To make a long story short I happen to know who they use for coping and they told me they had dates open for my PB as early as next week. So I questioned the PB and I finally got the honest answer,"still have builds from October needing done first". October!! Mind you those same pools need plaster before me too.

Now here's my issue, I have a strict timeline and need the pool done by June 1 which is 9 weeks from dig. I chose this PB bc they assured me they wound get it done. Well now I think they just wanted my money since they got 95% of their cut after gunite.

So, I called coping companies and two local companies can be out as early as next week! Should I try to fight the PB to sub it out to my own company?

Also, my PB electrical sub and decking sub are paid direct by me and told me they can be ready whenever.

I would have that exact discussion with your PB. Open and frank and professional. Don't know what else to do besides wait and see. Which doesn't sound like it will turn out well.

Why the rush? I understand that the winter had his hands tied. Didn't He says he'd get to it after the shell cured?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why the rush? I understand that the winter had his hands tied. Didn't He says he'd get to it after the shell cured?

Are you asking me why the rush? if so, for personal reasons we pushed our pool build up and needed it done by June 1. If they would have said, we can't do it, I would have waited longer to start the project.

Didn't who say they will get to it after the shell cured? Confused by this question.

You are correct that the issue appears to be the timeline. Pool builds seldom go according to plan time-wise.
It sounds like he may not have been forthcoming about their backlog of work but you are in a tough spot. A promise on time from a PB is about as reliable as the weather.
I can say that I think using your own subs is not a good idea at all for a variety of reasons.
I understand that you may not want to share what the personal deadline is, but not knowing the full picture makes suggestions about how hard to push for something difficult to make. What some people view as a deadline, others would consider a preference.
Sorry to be a little brusque, but PB's are notoriously poor time managers I'm sure you've seen that reading through threads on here.
I do agree with pooldv that being completely forthright but polite is the best approach.

Thanks bmore swim. I rather not go into details online but just know the time frame means a lot and was the most important factor. We actually had a contract signed with another builder but backed out last minute to use our current PB because I thought they were being the most honest with us on time frame. All I can say is I might be regretting that decision. Live and learn.

Thanks!!

Just got word from the PB and they said tile and coping won't be scheduled for a couple weeks or longer??? They also said that is the next step before electric, decking, etc. Meaning the pool is going to sit for at least 2 weeks before anything else gets done. I know the gunite needs 28 days to cure but is it unreasonable to expect other work to get done in the mean time? Also, I don't like the "or longer" part of the answer. Is it unreasonable for me to ask for a tile an coping date even if it is 2-3 weeks out? Any help from those with experience is appreciated....

So basically from this post you're going to wait until the 23rd to get tiled, at the least. Wonder how the other people are fairing who have been waiting since Oct?

So basically from this post you're going to wait until the 23rd to get tiled, at the least. Wonder how the other people are fairing who have been waiting since Oct?

Ouch, i was thinking the same thing Casey. If you are in a hurry think of those that have been waiting since October. The good part is that your are pass gunite and if PB can get his act together the rest can go pretty quickly. Unfortunately the PB has a large part of money that is needed to finish the pool so i don't see many options on the table for you. Don't be suprised if he is using your money to finish other peoples pools and he is waiting to sell more pools and use that money to finish yours. I have read that's how some operate. I really hope you can get this worked out to your satisfaction. Best of luck!

Ouch, i was thinking the same thing Casey. If you are in a hurry think of those that have been waiting since October. The good part is that your are pass gunite and if PB can get his act together the rest can go pretty quickly. Unfortunately the PB has a large part of money that is needed to finish the pool so i don't see many options on the table for you. Don't be suprised if he is using your money to finish other peoples pools and he is waiting to sell more pools and use that money to finish yours. I have read that's how some operate. I really hope you can get this worked out to your satisfaction. Best of luck!

All in a day n the life of a pool builder.

I agree with you both regarding those who are waiting since October. I guess my frustration is the fact that I was misled when they all knew it was imperative we get finished by June 1. If they would have said they couldn't, I would have waited for many reasons.

I appreciate the responses. It looks like I will just sit back and wait at this point as there is not much I can do.

For your sake, I hope they finish by June 1st. Once you get tiled after the 23rd, things may start flying into place n you'll be done. You never really know. Good luck n keep us posted.

Spoke to PB today in person and they were AWESOME. I was very surprised as they genuinely cared and promised to have things finished on time. Received an email a few hours later saying coping will be next week and they should have a firm date for me tomorrow..... I will keep the build pics coming as we progress.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.