New Gunite Pool - Carroll County MD - PICTURES

Thanks all!

Quick question, we picked out our jump rock and the decking company wants $900 to "set the rock". It is a 3 foot by 5 foot rock. That is about 18 inches in height. Does this sound reasonable? What all is involved? I thought he literally would just need to set it down in place and the weight of the stone keeps it there? Seems expensive to just set a stone am I wrong?

That rock weighs many, many thousand pounds. First they have to get something there that can lift it and a few people to do the work. They will have to rig it, put it in place, check level, figure out how to adjust it so that it is level and doesn't rock, remove it (usually several tries), add mortar, check again, etc. That is not quick or easy work. But, it will be cool when it's done! :)

There is a past build that has a jumping rock. They took detailed pics of them placing the rock. It took quite a while and looked neat to watch. Was it worth $900 just to place? I don't know but............

Kim

Thanks Kim. I will do a search and see what I can find.

Tile and coping was finished today so on to electric then decking. Starting to move now,,,, I will post some pictures tomorrow of the PA flagstone and tile choice.

Another newby question, the flagstone coping isn't bullnosed but the company can come back and grind it down for an additional charge. Has anyone had experience with non bullnose flagstone. Are the angles and edges too sharp for kids?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ours has PA Bluestone and originally had a square edge. With a $50 Lowe's grinder plus diamond blade I ran it along the edge at a 45 degree angle and it created the perfect bevel. The square edge would have potentially been a small issue but it's perfect now. I also had some other bluestone table tops that I needed to do that to as well. Extremely pleased with my handiwork on that. Just need to move smoothly in long motions towards you to create a smooth effect. You may be able to see the effect in post 92 on my build thread. It's just a small bevel, maybe 1/8 - 3/16" but seemed just right for me.

Yeah, I see your concern. Small bevel or not, that corner would hurt if hit right. But beveled, it would be less likely to shred skin. You could put a nice flower pot by each of the two similar corners to steer traffic away from them too.

I can see why you are concerned. It should be an easy fix though. A cheap grinder like said above to take the edge off enough so it will not be an issue. You might even be able to talk a worker into taking care of it since it would only be one or two.

Kim

How about an update and a few more pics! Weather has been great for pool work this spring. (Apologies to those in TX..). Hopefully your PB is showing up.

Well, the update isn't a good one. Let's just say the pool isn't finished and my PB is in a world of financial trouble..... I can't explain in detail as I don't want to jeopardize the small chance I have that my pool will be finished (otherwise I am out thousands of dollars and heading to court with a bunch of other folks)..... I should know more today and my fingers are crossed that they will be able to finish but to say I am stressed, nervous, disappointed, etc. is an understatement. Part of me wishes I never went on this journey.....

I do have a question though, the mouth to my skimmer is tiled and the mortar is all cracked. Is this something I should be concerned with (i.e. spot for water to leak)?

Also, the is a gap between the coping and skimmer top, they filled this gap with a steel plate and then poured the concrete deck over top. So essentially, if you reach into the skimmer, you feel coping until the last six inches then it is this steel plate. Is this normal as well, what should I look out for to make sure it doesn't leak?

I can add pictures later if needed.....

Well, the update isn't a good one. Let's just say the pool isn't finished and my PB is in a world of financial trouble...
I hate it when GC's can't manage their (ultimately your) money.

I would never...never...never pay ahead on a GC project. I don't care if he stomped, cried, temper tantrum or flat waked out...f$&% him...and people just blindly have over money in advance. so frustrating... hope you get everything resolved.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.