Pool closing.... Cl shock level????

brewtus

LifeTime Supporter
Going to be closing my 15 x 30 above ground in a couple of weeks.
This is my second year of pool ownership.
I converted to BBB this year, thanks to the help from people here. :goodjob:

I've read that I need to bring the Cl up to 'shock level' then vacuum, etc.
What is the 'shock level'?
I used 15ppm for the conversion, would I also use it for closing?

One other thing, I have an Aquadoor for my skimmer, and if I plug my return jet, will I need to drain the water? I'm concerned about the frozen block of ice cracking my return jet or skimmer frame when it heaves or moves. (Is this even a legitmate concern?)

I'd really like to leave the water level high so I won't have as much to pump off of the cover in the spring.

Your shock level will depend on your CYA level. Jason's pool calculator can give you the level, once you input your CYA level.

I can't answer your other question regarding the ice heave - we don't really have that problem here below the Mason-Dixon line... :wink:

When the pool freezes completely solid it is better to drain several inches below the skimmer/return. The ice block can shift as it freezes, dragging anything that sticks out along with it, which can tear the skimmer/return right out of the wall. When you only get an inch or two of ice this is not a problem.

Well, I've always assumed that my pool froze solid, but I've never looked under the cover to be sure. Given Chicago winters can have extended periods of subzero freezes, can't I assume that the pool is frozen? I've seen no damage due to ice shifting, does that mean my pool is not freezing solid, as I always assumed?

frustratedpoolmom said:
Well, I've always assumed that my pool froze solid, but I've never looked under the cover to be sure. Given Chicago winters can have extended periods of subzero freezes, can't I assume that the pool is frozen? I've seen no damage due to ice shifting, does that mean my pool is not freezing solid, as I always assumed?

:bump:

Jason, I was hoping you would weigh in for me?

Sorry, missed this one.

In the US, pools very rarely freeze solid. Typically there are just a couple of inches of ice on the top. In some far northern US locations and large parts of Canada, a pool can actually freeze solid. This is particularly true for above ground pools, which don't have nearly as much insulation on the sides compared to an in ground pool.

I am not familiar with Chicago weather, but I wouldn't expect a pool there to actually freeze solid. Of course, what actually happens depends on the weather any particular winter and the details of the pool, and can be quite variable from year to year and from pool to pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.