How much solar salt ??

Aug 28, 2008
New to the forum, and new to pools.
Great information here, and learning a whole lot about pools.

I am going to have a 17 x 32ft 6 ft deep pool with plaster built soon. I have been reading about adding solar salt to a non s.w pool to soften the walter. I'm a little confused as to how much to add for this size pool. I have been reading the pool school info, and have also been reading many of the post's on here. I have come to the conclussion that 1500 ppm is a good start. According to the pool calculator i will have approxmitely 24400 gal?? Is this correct?

1-What are the pros and cons with using solar salt to soften the water?
2-Will the salt have any damage to my stainless steel sheer decent falls?
3- Is 1500 ppm a good start?
4 How do i know how many bags to put in?

Any advice would be appreciated..

Thanks.

I get a size between 19,000 and 20,000 gallons, depending on the relative size of the shallow and deep ends.

The only negative to adding salt is a very slight increase in possible corrosion.

Stainless steel comes in various grades. If they used the correct grade of steel it will be fine. Occasionally manufacturers skimp on the steel and use a lower grade that might have problems, but that is usually only on screws.

Starting with salt around 1500 is a great place to start.

The amount of salt you need depends on your starting salt level. Get some AquaChek salt test strips and measure your starting level and then put your starting level, desired level, and pool size into my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature, and it will tell you how much salt you need.

Thanks for the info. I am a little confused, i went to the pool calculator and looked at the salt table.
Why is the goal on the salt 0?, how do i know what to shoot for as a good salt reading #? What is desired salt reading??

Sorry, i'm new to this .. Thank you for your time.

jbequer said:
Thanks for the info. I am a little confused, i went to the pool calculator and looked at the salt table.
Why is the goal on the salt 0?, how do i know what to shoot for as a good salt reading #?

Sorry, i'm new to this .. Thank you for your time.

I need pointers on how to use this caculator for salt.

My goal is to learn and use the BBB method.

Different situations require different salt levels. There isn't a standard salt level that everyone uses, so my Pool Calculator leaves the default salt level at zero.

To calculate how much salt to add, you should set the Goal level for salt at 1500, a good salt level for improving the feel of the water. Then you enter your current salt level in the Now column, and the size of your pool at the top in the orange row where it says size, press TAB, and it will tell you how much salt to add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just added 6 x 40 pounds of Solar salt. That is about half what I need to get to 1500 ppm.
I also added borax a few weeks ago.

I am going to try this for a while and see where to go.

You are off to a good start.

I have owned three pools over the last 20 years.

It is only since I started looking at this board that I feel like I have a clue about what I am really doing.

Plus my water looks great! I run my pump 8 hours per day instead of 24/7.
I run my Polaris about 3 x per week instead of all the time.
My clorine use is one-fourth of what it was.

But that is just me. I had a problem that was sabotaging my pool for the last two years. Three pool maintenance companies never diagnosed the problem. The just dropped me. Now I spend 3 min per day and a little longer on the weekend when I empty the skimmers.

Good luck with your new pool!

Hal

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.