Curious about simple automation of pump

Mar 25, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I've just gotten into Home Automation using a VeraEdge controller. I've got a few lights, switches and motion sensors around the house so far. I'm getting ready to put in an order for more wall switches and I thought about trying to automate my pump. Currently it's on a mechanical timer, the only thing that's connected to the timer is the pump itself. There's also a single light switch that turns off the whole circuit. Is it possible to replace that switch with a Zwave enabled switch? I could then use my controller to setup pump times and easily turn the pump on and off, rather than messing with the mechanical timer.

Is this doable?

That can certainly be done, you just need a relay rated for use with a motor. A standard light switch relay can't handle the pump, but I am sure they offer some appropriate relay.

However, beware of things which reduce the reliability of the system. You don't want to get algae because the new system forgot to turn on the pump for a couple of days.

I use a pair of insteon Outdoor modules to run my main pump and the injection pump. You could do the same with Z-Wave if you wanted to.

Is your pump 120 or 240 volt?

I would add the switch and add a relay operated by the switch. Those switches are only rated for 980 watts or ½ HP motors. And that's pushing it.

You could use the Linear FS20Z-1 Z-Wave in Wall Fixture Module which is rated for 10A.

Intermatic even makes a z-wave controller (Intermatic CA3750 InTouch Wireless Multi-Volt 120-277VAC Contactor Module).

How robust is your Z-wave network? If it's fairly robust, it should work fine. Once you get started you could even control lights, etc..

If you decide to try it, be sure to research what others have done using Z-wave.

- - - Updated - - -

I took too long to reply.

I've read a few things about the CA3750 and it's a good unit, however, Intermatic didn't follow the Z-Wave protocol to the letter and some controllers have a problem adding it and all the nodes to the network.

Having said that, the VeraEdge shouldn't have a problem with it.

That can certainly be done, you just need a relay rated for use with a motor. A standard light switch relay can't handle the pump, but I am sure they offer some appropriate relay.

However, beware of things which reduce the reliability of the system. You don't want to get algae because the new system forgot to turn on the pump for a couple of days.

Most z-wave-zigbee controllers have way more program ability than even the best of pool controls.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.