Using water softener pellets in SWG pools

Apr 8, 2015
Waukesha, Wi
We just had to replace our water softener, and the installer told us that using the pellets hunks up the system due to the glue that is used to hold the pellets shape. My concern is that some people say you can use the pellets in a SWG pool but take longer to dissolve. Since the glue can gunk up the softener, could it also affect the filter and the SWG?

That is non-sense. There isn't any "glue".

Some kind of pellets have higher impurity levels than other kinds, which can affect your softener over long periods of time. The higher purity pellets are fine, both for a water softener and a pool.

Complete bs they use a compression molding process to form them. Your installer is very wrong. Almost all major water softener brands ask you use pellets and not granular salt. Less water flow and clumping problems with granular salt, pellets always out preform. I attend regular meetings with the Texas water quality assoc. and we hear about this from time to time.

Solar salt is good. I use it exclusively in my softener, and it's great for pools. It's pure and has no additives like resin cleaners/iron removers. A good habit to get into, is keeping an old broomstick or pipe laying around. Once in a while (like, just before you add salt) Shove it straight down into the salt bed in several places. The will break salt bridges that form. It's a good thing to do at least every other time you add salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.