Pool Cleaner

Mar 28, 2007
Houston/Richmond
Hi

Iam looking at getting a pool cleaner for my pool but what cleaner to get.

Is the Polaris 380 a good one?
What other clean are out where?

This was are pool cleaner but it old.
rayvac2_692.jpg

If you have a booster pump pre-installed the Polaris 280 is the best choice. Compared to the 380 the 280 is a gear driven unit whereas the 380 uses belts (prone to frequent replacement).

If you get a pool cleaner that requires a booster pump (Polaris 180, 280, 380, 480, Baracuda Mars, etc.) you must actually have a dedicated pressure line with a booster pump installed. The Polaris 360 is a modified version of the 380 which does not require a booster pump.

Stone17 said:
If I get a pool cleaner that required a booster pump and I dont have a booster pump will the cleaner still work?

On my pool you can turn all the jets off and turn the pool cleaner jet on. Does that work like a booster pump?

IF (and it is a big IF) the cleaner line is supplying enough water wne all the returns are off then a booster pump requiring cleaner might work but there is no guarantee. My pool is plumbed non standard and I run a MarsHP without a booster pump but it is running off a dedecated 1 hp Pentair Pinnicle that is valved to either power my water features or the cleaner line. It actually has enough flow to run the cleaner without any problems and the water features at the same time. If it doesn't work and since you seem to have a dedicated pressure line it's not that big a deal to replumb a booster pump into the system. Bosster pump cleaners are going to perform better than boosterless ones but units like the Polaris 360 or the Pentair Legend II (both boosterless) do a good job once they are set up..

also searching for an automatic pool cleaner

Hello:

I am also searching for an automatic pool cleaner. My pool is a 30ft Allegro above ground (22,000 gallons). We had a Polaris Turbo Turtle (aka Polaris 65) but now it only turn circles now and does not clean the whole pole. Replaced the randomizer but it did not fix the problem. Turtle is old and worn out. It did a good job when working though.

I am looking at replacing it with another Polaris 65 or Hayward Aqua Bug or a Barracuda Ranger. Money is tight and I am looking to save some money. But need to clean the bottom of the pool. Any fans of these auto cleaners?

Sincerely,

Ikymojoe

I know there are a lot of folks out there with Aqua Bugs. I have a Hayward/Sta-Rite Lil Shark that works fine. My next cleaner is a robotic - PoolRover Jr or AquaBot, etc. The prices get better all the time.

Re: also searching for an automatic pool cleaner

ikymojoe said:
Hello:

I am also searching for an automatic pool cleaner. My pool is a 30ft Allegro above ground (22,000 gallons). We had a Polaris Turbo Turtle (aka Polaris 65) but now it only turn circles now and does not clean the whole pole. Replaced the randomizer but it did not fix the problem. Turtle is old and worn out. It did a good job when working though.

I am looking at replacing it with another Polaris 65 or Hayward Aqua Bug or a Barracuda Ranger. Money is tight and I am looking to save some money. But need to clean the bottom of the pool. Any fans of these auto cleaners?

Sincerely,

Ikymojoe

It sounds like the Polaris hose may have "memory". A common issue is when the Polaris hose has is stored people tend to curl the hose causing the hose keep this shape while in the pool. To fix this stretch the hose straight out in the sun for a day or two. Hopefully this can fix the problem for you.

If not the Aqua Bug and Baracuda Ranger are suction cleaners meaning they hook into your skimmer. These tend to be better for small debris. Whereas the Polaris 65 is a pressure cleaner and tends to work better with large debris.

Thanks for the replies

Well, I purchase a Polaris 65 and it has been working great. Found the outlet hose tube now has a different connector (male threaded) than my old Polaris Turbo Turtle. So, I switched out the new one with the old one. When the pool is shut down, I will switch out the connectors. Found a memory problem as described previously by JoshU, so I stretched it out in the sun for a few hours and it has been working just fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.