Outdoor Kitchen Question

May 1, 2014
Ontario,Canada
Planning on building my outdoor kitchen very soon. Grill is a DCS 48" grill, Marvel 24" outdoor fridge with DCS under the grill storage cabinet with DCS dual sideburner. And another storage compartment under the side burner. Here are my questions.

1. Is Aluminum 1.5" x 1.5" tubing strong enough
2. I will use thin veneer stone , do you install the stone first or the stainless steel cabinets storage drawers first?
3.Is 1/4" hardi backer thick enough for the front and sides?
4. Do you need to use hardi backer on the top or a countertop direct ok?

Welcome to TFP!

I'll tackle a couple of these...

3. Is 1/4" hardi backer thick enough for the front and sides? Yes, that's what I used when I built mine and still going strong on its 10th season, including a move to a new house.
4. Do you need to use hardi backer on the top or a countertop direct ok? If you are going to put tile on the countertop (like I did), I would go with the thicker hardi backer which I believe is 3/8". The other factor with mine is that, although it looks built-in, it is movable (on large hidden casters). Occasionally, I do move it and I wanted extra protection from any twisting/torquing forces while moving.

I will tackle #1 & #2....

1. Is Aluminum 1.5" x 1.5" tubing strong enough. I would suspect the aluminum tube is plenty strong enough, but it's really a function of what center spacings they will be on and how much load you want to place on them. That shape is fairly rigid compared to steel studs, so I can't see why it wouldn't work. Just so you understand my opinion on your choice of framing material, I'm a civil engineer during the day.

2. I will use thin veneer stone , do you install the stone first or the stainless steel cabinets storage drawers first? We installed the stainless steel cabinets first, then came the thin veneer.

Best of luck on the build and post pictures. I think we all like seeing what people come up with.

Mark

I will tackle #1 & #2....
2. I will use thin veneer stone , do you install the stone first or the stainless steel cabinets storage drawers first? We installed the stainless steel cabinets first, then came the thin veneer.

Same with us. The frame of the doors and drawers gives you the line to which your veneers need to be cut to and then set against.

I'll answer them too... Just for fun.

Should be dependent on your countertop material. I used 20ga galvanized channel. The worry I would have about square tubing is joint connections. How are you making the joints? With channel you slide on in the other.

2. I will use thin veneer stone , do you install the stone first or the stainless steel cabinets storage drawers first?
Install the 1/4" hardi, then doors and drawers, then install the stone. I didn't put the rock right up against the door frames as I could never get it to be perfect so I left some grout area. Then I put blue tape on the door frames and grouted the area between the stone and door. Pull the tape and you have a clean edge.

Yes.

I did. However I did a poured in place concrete counter. The only way you could not have something there is if you did a slab counter. If you are doing granite or the like slab, then no you don't.

If you click my build in my signature I have very detailed steps, diagrams, and you can see how I solved issues that I didn't know of till they came up.

I was planning on welding the frames. Also I saw your photos nice. Another question. Did you have to compensate the height for the grill with the addition of your countertop and did you plAce the grill on the frame or on the cement counter
I'll answer them too... Just for fun.

Should be dependent on your countertop material. I used 20ga galvanized channel. The worry I would have about square tubing is joint connections. How are you making the joints? With channel you slide on in the other.

Install the 1/4" hardi, then doors and drawers, then install the stone. I didn't put the rock right up against the door frames as I could never get it to be perfect so I left some grout area. Then I put blue tape on the door frames and grouted the area between the stone and door. Pull the tape and you have a clean edge.

Yes.

I did. However I did a poured in place concrete counter. The only way you could not have something there is if you did a slab counter. If you are doing granite or the like slab, then no you don't.

If you click my build in my signature I have very detailed steps, diagrams, and you can see how I solved issues that I didn't know of till they came up.

My counter is a little taller than normal, about 38". 36" stud, 1/2" footing, 1.5" counter. I didn't mind though as it was easier than cutting every stud.

The grill is sitting on the concrete counter. I did a pour in place counter and each cutout has a horizontal stud right at the edge near the appliance. The shelf under the Primo ceramic grill (175 lb or so) has extra horizontal and vertical reinforcement.

I have my aluminum frame built up, did it on the weekend using 1.5" aluminum tubing 1/8" thick. It's 10' long and 1 piece. I will cover all sides using 1/2" du rock cement board. The back is going up against a brick wall and this will be covered, it's under my loggia, is the back ok with cement board?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That frame looks indestructible...I like it!

I'm not sure you need to waterproof the back, if it is underneath a roof as you say. If it is not going to get wet, and isn't visible, I'd be awfully tempted to leave it bare too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.