Newby who needs help and doesn't want to get ripped off

Mar 31, 2015
Rochester
I installed a 24' round by 4' deep late last year in Rochester, NY.

Because it was late in the year I held off on my electric because of heavy rains and plan on having it done early spring. I also purchased a Raypak NG 200K BTU heater that I plan on installing this year as well.

So I'm going to need an electrician to install my electric and a plumber to install the gas line. My electrical box is about the same distance as the gas, around 60 feet away. The inspector says the electrical line and gas pipe can go in the same trench they just have to be a certain amount of distance from each other.

I was quoted $2,600 to run the electric (4x4 post, couple of GFI outlets, sleeve on post to make it look nice) and run the gas.

Does this sound about right to everyone? Also, how thick do you think the gas line should be going that distance? I've heard 1" and I've heard an 1 1/4".

Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I forgot something so please let me know and I'll give you details.

Thanks

Scaboney

Gas pipe is not cheap, so that could be reasonable for turn-key for both electric and gas.

For 60 feet (which does not include losses due to fittings), 1" supports about 230k BTUs ... once losses are included, this would be marginal in my mind.
1.25" supports about 512k BTU ... a significant bump for likely not much increase in cost. This is what I would do ... leaves you extra margin for adding BBQ or larger heater in the future.

That doesnt sound like a bad price to me for both gas and electric turnkey. I was quoted 1500 for about 70 feet of electric only to my storage outbuilding. All I wanted was a light and couple of outlets in there.

I agree with jblizzle about going with the larger gas pipe to leave some margin in case you add something some day, or maybe decide to get a bigger heater.

Hopefully whoever quoted the job for you quoted a cost that included the correct sized line for the gas. Also, did they look at your meter to see if you would need a regulator at the end of the line by the heater?

Your question doesn't really make any sense, and the answer doesn't matter even if it did. You need to get a licensed master plumber to figure out the correct way to hook it up, which will depend on a number of details you haven't mentioned yet. There is no real point in trying to second guess what they are going to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.