Aquachek Salt Test Kit Reading

Aug 6, 2008
Honolulu
The reading at the highest point of the white peak, not the bottom of the white mountain reads 6.6 or 4740 ppm, the bottom of the mountain reads 6 or 3740 ppm, after 10 minutes.. The PoolPilot Total digital reads 3600, sometimes 3700. Taylor reading 3800. So which is correct?

The Aquachek strips are only a few weeks old, but Hawaii is humid even though the container is tightly sealed, could that be the issue?"

Does the PoolPilot automatically read the correct level or does one have to adjust it, is there a way to reset this reading to the factory level?

I realize that the optimum max level (per Sean) should be 3500.

For information, here in Hawaii the salt level actually climbs by about 100 ppm per month in both my and my neighbours pool (including backwashing once per month). Not sure why but it might be caused by the salty air or salty rain.

Any help would be appreciated.

Aloha.

I am revising my readings.

I re-tested today and made a mistake on the Taylor kit calculation yesterday, I was a little rushed.

The Taylor kit read spot on 4200, a large jump from my reading some weeks ago at around 3600. Why the salt is increasing I am not sure but the same is happening to my neighbours pool albeit at about two-thirds my rate. His pool however is 20k mine only 10k, his is much deeper so the actual surface area is not that much different, that could account for the multiplication of increase if it is indeed the rain or air that is very salty in Hawaii, adding to the load. Another thought occured to me and that is it could be the plaster had salt added to it as a drying agent, I am not a concrete engineer. As the both pools are old, 13 and 18 years in the case of my neighbour, it could be leaching into the water. Any comments welcome.

The AquaChek strip read 6.0 or 3740, at the bottom of the white mountain and 6.4 or 4380 at the top of the mountain, the middle 6.2 gives 4040. 10 minutes were allowed before measuring.

Using the previous version of the test strip at the pool store we got a reading of close to 4200 with very little tip to the mountain. It seems the old test strip is easier to use than the new one. With their Taylor kit they to got 4200 ppm.

From this I have to conclude that if properly used the Taylor kit gives the more accurate reading. One does need to swill and mix completely the solution after each drop. This takes considerably more time than the test strip but does seem to give, if done correctly the most accurate read. The PoolPilot Total Digital, according to their tech support does not give an accurate read and has to be adjusted by the owner/operator to the correct level in the "Maintenance Menu".

Created my own test solution as follows:

2.22 gallons of water which has a starting pH of 7.8 and an alkalinity of 80 (with calcium at 80, and no CyA or borax), added to 1 oz of salt should register 3500 ppm.

The Aquacheck read, valley 5.8 (3450), or peak 6.0 (3740) depending on whether you take the peak or valley. Taylor read 3600, taking into account our fill water has about 200-400 ppm salt, the Taylor is most probably the most accurate.

Biggest problem now is that we will need to drain down every so often to get to the optimum 3500 ppm point.

For information prior to this SWG unit we used the BBB method, with salt at 1800. Prior to adding the salt unit, about 1 -1 1/2 years later, we measured the salt content in the pool and it was 5000 plus. So something very wierd is happening here, also we were getting a lot of bees and we did not know why, later I was told bees are attracted to salt in higher quantities. Not many bees thank goodness at 3500 ppm.

Hope this helps.

Aloha.

Forgot one item.

Once you have done the Taylor test it is very important to flush the container very well and then dry it out twice with a paper towel as it leaves a residue.

It also stains your fingers a little black and does not easily go away with washing.

Aloha.

Read the peak...the aquacheck is usually withint 200 ppm of the Taylor titiration, which is the precision of the Taylor test. Sounds like your pool pilot needs to have the calibration on the salt level reset. It's either a setting in the intaller's menu or the maintenance menu. Don't have the manual in front of me right now and I forget which one it is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.