Heater Trouble

Jun 29, 2007
Hey guys not long ago i noticed some issues occuring with my heater / pool. I am not to familiar with some of this techincal stuff so i figured i would turn to you experts to see your throughts.

I went out by my setup and saw this little valve thing from the heater leaking air.. more or less hissing.

IMG_0667.jpg

When I turn on the filter it starts to drip water..

IMG_0666.jpg

And then by chance i was walking around the pool when this was occuring and the drain basket farthest from the filter was like this...

IMG_0665.jpg

Now when i sometimes check back later that bucket would fill and the dripping water from the heater would be a running stream..

Anyone know what that is or how to try and repair it?

My little setup

IMG_0668.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I would raise the water level in the pool an inch or two. What is probably happening is the pump is sucking in air through the skimmer and it biulds up in the heater. This would cause the hissing you hear. To me that looks like the air release valve on the bottom of our air compressor. If it is like that, you should be able to turn/tighten the bottom part that looks sort of like a wingnut.

Good luck,
Adam

Well the strange thing is, my pool has some letro autofill thing built into it. And for some reason this season it actually puts to much water in the pool, because it is not low at all on the sides so anymore it would be like at the bottom of the cement molding around the top.

I thought about that piece being able to be tightened but was not sure what would happen if i took it off, would it gush water or something etc

The piece on the heater is a 'petcock' and the 'wing nut' part can be screwed in to release water or air from the heater (usually used to help drain the heat exchanger for winter), sounds like it needs to be replaced - with the system off unscrew it and take it to a plumbing store, they'll be able to match the threads and 'hook you up' :)

As for the skimmer, check the weir (skimmer door) to be sure that it can open and close properly - I think that something has jammed the side of it - push it into the skimmer from the top from inside the pool - this one shouldn't cost you a cent to fix :lol:

I'm 99.9% sure that this is what's going on and should be a very easy thing to take care of :goodjob: Please let us know how it turns out.

^ya know, now that you mention it i dont think i have seen those on either side working this season...

Can not wait to go check this out.

Also before I sound to stupid, this is my first pool, second season with it. So still got alot to learn when it comes to remembering small details like that :hammer:

Just to update a bit, it seems that you were right on those flaps blocking the water flow, although it did not seem like anything was really blocking them, i tried to check real well but it was dark out. There were moments where id push down smooth but occasionally it got stuck.

I did figure out though why this season I have not really hear them moving around. As I said earlier I have a autofill jibber jabber in the pool, and for some reason this season it seems to fill the pool to high, so it was always sitting above that flap, making it so i never ehard it. If anyone knows how to get that to work id be a happy monkey haha

Still waiting to fix the other thing, A family member is being ignorant to get it done so that doesnt help much.

Can we get a pic of the "autofill jibber jabber"? :p It should have a float on it attached to a rod that opens or closes the valve for the fill water, you should be able to just move the float down the rod a little to lower the water height that it stops filling at. Most of them work exactly like the ones in your toilet tank (as well they should, it's the same part :mrgreen: ), though some of the more expensive ones have a different float.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.