What direction should the return be pointed

None of the above! :) LOL! It should be pointed to the left or right, the goal in a pool is to generate circular water flow either clockwise or counterclockwise to get debris moving toward the skimmer or filter inlet.

Welcome to the forum Jwise :wave:

For daily maintenance I agree with Pooldv. You want to get a rotation going to help the skimmer. But every pool is different so it doesn't hurt to try all the variations and see what works for you.
I have a few returns and a deep end so there are times I'll point one down to help mix the warm water near the surface with the cold water sitting on the bottom of the deep end. It's also the one I use for adding chemicals. I keep it loose in the wall so I can rotate it at will without tools.

Reactions: daveondave
If it's pointed up and breaking the surface of the water, the pH could rise quickly. It drives me batty seeing them shoot straight into the pool because it does nothing for skimming action. I usually have mine pointed down at an angle to get the rotation so the skimmer can do it's job n the water in the bottom of the pool gets moved daily when I don't sweep.

I do the same as Casey. I usually point mine down at an angle. And if want a good rotation going, i point it straight to the right. It usually creates a pretty good whirlpool and causes all the debris to accumulate in the center. Makes it easy to remove that way.

I bought a 90° elbow for my return n boy does it ever blast the side of the pool n get it moving! I just pop it off when I add bleach so it doesn't ruin my liner.

None of the above! :) LOL! It should be pointed to the left or right, the goal in a pool is to generate circular water flow either clockwise or counterclockwise to get debris moving toward the skimmer or filter inlet.

Ditto. All mine are pointed slightly up and to the left to create clockwise flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have more than one return then they can be pointed roughly straight out for creating a circular water flow. In my pool it looks like the following:

___v__________________
| .................................. |
| .....D.......................... <
| .....D........................... |
|__ S _____________^__|

where the "^", "<", and "v" are returns, the "S" is a skimmer, and the two "D"s are floor drains. The water flows in a counter-clockwise direction.

Whoops. Should have read that first post! Yes, a round pool is easy -- just point the return to one side. Now for better bottom circulation you might consider pointing diagonally downwards though there is less skimmer action that way, but hopefully you can create a swirling funnel effect.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.