What is common for coping overhang on a pool?

poolnorthernva

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 14, 2015
Leesburg, Va
My wife and I have been having discussions about the need or desire to have some exposed coping over hanging the pool. My wife believes that some extension will assist swimmers when grasping the sides. I think a more flush coping will make it easier to get out of the pool. We know we will bull nose the coping though we have not finalized the coping choice. We are also putting in an auto cover. There are two ways this can be mounted in the pool, one is under the coping lip which would result in a 3 inch over hang, the other is 'encapsulate' the rail on the side under the coping, this will result in 1/4 inch over hang. With encapsulation the water level will also be a little lower. Our coping choices will be limited because of the extra thickness required if we go with the under mount. But we think we can find acceptable selections with either thickness.

What's funny is we have been in agreement on almost all other items about our pool (dig starts April 13th) but this 'small' detail has us flummoxed.

Does your pool have any coping over hang? Do you notice one way or the other? What is the typical standard? Thanks!!!

We have flagstone coping and a freeform pool so it is not uniform. It is mostly 1"-2" overhang. I think either of your choices is fine for a kid hanging on to the side. Personally, I would go with 1/4", especially if you have some benches around the pool for the adults to sit on for a chat and a beverage. 3" might be a little too much.

People like to dangle their feet so 'more' overhang feels more natural.

Remember some/most of the church benches how un-natural it felt when your heals hit the back wall?

Sit in a tall (bar) chair and see how you feet naturally rest.

Thank you for the responses. I am now on the side of the overhang. I will post a visual of the CoverStar specs to show the 3 " requirement for undermount auto covers. Are there any autocoder owners who have some experience on this?

We have a Coverstar cover with the integrated rail. So the rail doesn't really project out. I don't see the benefit of an overhang type where it hangs on the underside of the coping. My coping does extend probably 1 1/2" but that is not a requirement of my cover rail. You can look in my build thread in (link in my signature) for some closeup pics of the rail and coping.

Best of luck with your project. Let me know if you have any follow-up cover questions.

Thank you. We actually saw your build last fall during out decision phase, and 'rediscovered' it again this spring. Our basic's are fairly similar. I think integrated and encapsulated describe the same auto cover mounting process. Our PB talked with the Coverstar person who will be installing and he told us 3/4 of an inch is as far as it can go out before the coping interferes with the cover. You said yours is 1 1/2 so I am still researching.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't measure the overhang to be honest. Sorry about that. In looking at one of my pics, it probably isn't more than 3/4". It must be the same cover group though out of My Airy. It is the big round bar at the opening end of the cover that causes the limitation on the coping overhang.

We have a lot of bench work around the pool so we are always sitting on them and leaning back up against the coping. It really depends on how deep the benches are/how it hits your back or shoulders/overhang depth/angle of recline/phase of the moon/etc. Ours has seemed fine. You are probably overthinking this one. We all do it on many aspects of our pool builds. But better to overthink than underthink.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.