Problems with my soalr heating controls

I use solar panels to heat my pool. I use two sensors, A Hayward Goldline valve actuator GVA-24, and a Hayward Goldline GL-235 Solar pool controller. Ever since lightening struck near my house and destroyed my computer and satellite TV receiver my pool heating system hasn't been working properly. If the pool temperature is 27°C the valve will open once it is moved up to 24 rather than at 27°.
The local pool guy says I should replace my whole system but his office person says he is just trying to make sales. Technicians came and checked my system and thought it might be the sensors ($1,200US each!). It has been 4 weeks now and I'm not getting anywhere. Does anyone have nay thought s about this?

You sure it was not $12? :)

Do a search for "Hayward Temperature sensor" They are $25 each all over the place. Just need to be sure to get a 10k thermistor.

Altough honestly, I would not think lightning would affect the sensors ... more likely a problem in the electronics. Still $1200 is triple what replacing the whole setup would cost.

Something is wrong on that price. You can buy the Hayward GL-235 on amazon.com for $199. That includes the controller only and not the temp sensors and the valve actuator.

Last edited:
I read the questions. Says it is ONLY the controller and the picture is misleading.

Yes, you are correct. My bad. That is very misleading. 200 bucks for the controller only. But, as jblizzle said, the controller is by far the most likely thing to be damaged by a lightning strike. The temp sensors are under $30 each.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, you are correct. My bad. That is very misleading. 200 bucks for the controller only. But, as jblizzle said, the controller is by far the most likely thing to be damaged by a lightning strike. The temp sensors are under $30 each.

I wish the sellers would provide appropriate non-misleading pics. The good part is, I now know about this controller and I did not previously. Thanks.

After having two different sets of technicians several times out it was decided that my two sensors had been damaged by lightening. They were replaced at a much better price-about $200US each instead of $1,200US each. They do operate the valve actuator when needed but the temperature isn't exact like it used to be. Before if it was set for 29°C it would turn the water off at 29. Now it doesn't turn the water off until it gets to 31-too warm. Does the solar controller sensor and the sensor for the pool temperature need to be calibrated to match?

Whatever the actual temperatures vs displayed temperatures, if you want the water cooler, just turn the goal temperature down lower than it currently is. The numbers may not match reality, but it will get cooler, which is what you want.

Whatever the actual temperatures vs displayed temperatures, if you want the water cooler, just turn the goal temperature down lower than it currently is. The numbers may not match reality, but it will get cooler, which is what you want.
Of course. But previously the temperature on my solar controller and the digital water temperature reading on my Aqua Rite chlorine generating panel (right beside each other) were in total sync so it made life easier. I was hoping that you could recalibrate the temperature on the Solar pool Controller to get the two in sync.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.