Concrete Pool Repair in Indiana

Hello! I am so happy to have found this board. We have owned a pool for about a year and a half....but am just now getting around to investigating how to clean it up and (hopefully) enjoy it. The pool was not the primary reason we purchased our home, but we did stop the previous owner from bulldozing it - "just in case". As always, budget is a concern.

I have attached a link to photos of the pool. I'm curious if anyone has any experience resurrecting a pool such as this. I'm having difficulty finding a vendor in my area to come look at it. From what I know, the pump was new in 2006. The pool was last used in 2009ish. It has been empty at least the last two years and probably the last 5. The crack appears to have been filled at some point. The drain is unplugged so it holds no water at the moment BUT does grown some fantastic earthworms. I don't know enough to tell if it is structurally sound or may have floated.

It is approximately 20' x 50' with a 3' shallow end and about a 10' deep end. It was built in the late 50s/early 60s, I believe, and served as a neighborhood pool. I have added a few pictures in the link below. It's in pretty rough shape at the moment...

MY POOL

Thank you for any insight or help you can offer!

(I haven't had much luck getting anyone to come out to look at and/or repair the crack. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas of potential vendors for us to call in the southern half of IN or northern part of KY.)

New pool owner seeking advice on old pool

Hello! I have owned a pool for about a year and a half....but am just now getting around to investigating how to clean it up and (hopefully) enjoy it. The pool was not the primary reason we purchased our home, but we did stop the previous owner from bulldozing it - "just in case". As always, budget is a concern.

I have attached a link to photos of the pool. I'm curious if anyone has any experience resurrecting a pool such as this. I'm having difficulty finding a vendor in my area to come look at it. From what I know, the pump was new in 2006. The pool was last used in 2009ish. It has been empty at least the last two years and probably the last 5. The crack appears to have been filled at some point. The drain is unplugged so it holds no water at the moment BUT does grown some fantastic earthworms. I don't know enough to tell if it is structurally sound or may have floated.

It is approximately 20' x 50' with a 3' shallow end and about a 10' deep end. It was built in the late 50s/early 60s, I believe, and served as a neighborhood pool. I have added a few pictures in the link below. It's in pretty rough shape at the moment...

MY POOL

Thank you for any insight or help you can offer!

Re: New pool owner seeking advice on old pool

That crack is going to require some attention, and depending on what is going on, it may be fairly expensive to fix. Everything else looks straightforward to deal with.

It really depends on your budget I think. You are probably going to have to go to Indy or St. Louis to find a company with the skill and knowledge to fix it well. I do know PoolTron in St. Louis does amazing work and have restored a few really rough pools in our area South Eastern IL, but they are NOT cheap and do not take cheap jobs especially coming from that distance.

My best advice is to just google the bigger pool installers in the cities close by and start asking, they are generally pretty good about recommending others if its not their type of install (i.e. if they just do liners, but they would tell you who to call for repairs like that). That's what I did when I was considering a pebble-plaster pool and the closest installers for them was 120miles+ away from me.

I would insert a vinyl liner in that pool. The crack will be almost impossible to treat successfully as a gunite pool.

I was thinking that this would be pretty straight forward as a vinyl lined pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you! I will look into both EcoFinish and the vinyl liner option. I was told at one time vinyl liners weren't often put in concrete pools so I had not researched that option.
I was also told about Torque-Locks by one vendor who did call me back. Does anyone have experience with the product?

What are the odds a pump will still work properly after being out in the elements for several years? There used to be a roof over the pump/filter pad but it has been gone since before we bought the house. It is a Leslie's HydraMaxII Self Priming pump with a booster. We cleaned up the pool area and unearthed everything over the weekend.

Look at eco finish.
swimcmp,
I certainly respect your opinion on pools. Will this eco finish stop the movement in the pool so it will not recrack?

Could you cut 16" x1" grooves into the gunite across the crack and then lay rebar in the cut slots and use epoxy to hold it?

Eco finish won't stop movement, truthfully nothing will stop concrete from moving. The root cause has to be addressed first, that is probably ground water that is under the pool. You might be able to do the rebar stitching. IMO that is a temporary resolution. www.ecosmartepoxysystems.com might be the only product I am familiar with that would possibly stop movement.

I do not know if the pump will work at this point. My pump sits out in the elements all of the time with no problems so......

What is the big shaft/hole for? Scary looking to me!

The first thing I thought of was liner. Measure it out and start checking prices.

Let us know what you find out. This is one that will be fun to watch!

Kim

The big shaft/hole appears to allow access to the drain plumbing and a skimmer mechanism. Truthfully - I have not been down there. But my father-in-law went in over the weekend.
I got an email response back from the ecofinish company in my area and they estimated $9-10K. The crack would need fixed seperately. I am attempting to get liner quotes and waiting on the pool guy who mentionef the Torque Locks (the concrete staples).
We got an expansion plug for the drain today to do some preliminary testing on its ability to hold water (rain) and figure out where it drains to. We need to find the water line that goes out there and figure out where the electric lines run from. The breaker box has been redone since it was run last.
Hopefully the pool guy can come see it in person soon. I am still looking into all the ways everyone has suggested and waiting on response from several other pool companies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.