New pool pump... need help

Jun 18, 2007
Charleston, SC
So I am currently looking to replace my pool pump (this one finally let the smoke out).

The pool came with the house, so I didnt have any choices on what equipment came with it. Its an 18' round above ground doughboy pool. It came with the doughboy 300lb sand filter, and a Powerpak 3, a 1.5 hp pump.

I think the 1.5hp pump is too strong based on everything I read (there are no water features, etc.., just 5-8 feet of pvc total in the loop, and 1 return. I think it is channeling in the sand filter.

I was thinking of downsizing to a 1hp hayward (to save some electricity too).

This is the one I was thinking about:

http://www.intheswim.com/shopping/produ ... ductid=266

I have to move fast, given that I have no circulation as of this morning, so any fast advice would be acceptable. Obviously, the 1.5 hp one is not that much more expensive, so I dont mind the cost, I just have always thought the 1.5 was overpowered and wasting energy.

Thoughts?

(As a side note, the 1hp qualifies for 1 day shipping, getting me the pump on Tuesday).

The "service Factor" is important to determione the true HP of the pump but there's little doubt in my mind the 1.5 is too big and a 1hp sounds just about right.

Save you some front money, some long term money, and perhaps solve the channeling issue....win, win. win. :lol:

As always, you were right about the relative powers of the pumps.

The Hayward 1hp that I linked above is as powerful, if not more powerful than the crappy POS Doughboy Powerpak III 1.5hp pump that was on there (judging by the filter PSI and the amount of water coming out of the "overflow").

Boy am I glad i went down a notch. I almost feel like I should have gone down to 3/4 even.

But to follow up, I spent all morning replumbing what those idiots at the pool store did when they installed it (no ball valves, etc..) and now everything is working great.

One big pet peeve of mine is that there is no concrete pad out there. They put some sand in a hole, put 6 bricks on it, and consider that a stable pad. After this season is over, im going to tear that area up and put in a real pad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.