Pump not sucking water

Apr 25, 2013
Opening up the pool for the first time since being built last year. The company closed the pool since they installed a safety cover. I took off all drain plugs and reattached the gauge on the filter as well as the drain cap. I filled the pump with water until the intake lines were filled. I set the filter to "filter" and turned on the pump. The pump is on but does not continue to suck the water from the pool. Does it need time to fill the filter back up to regain suction? I even tried running water in the pump while it was running to see if that would get the suction back.

Thanks for any help. Oh and the bright side is the water is crystal clear!

Your rubber seal on the lid to the pump basket is good right? Not sucking air. It may just take a little while to fill the lines, and filter .
Mine takes about 2 min. Also check air screw on filter, thumb tight.

Sometimes the initial priming of the pump requires that lid on the pump to be closed after you filled it up with water from the hose. Mines kind of fineke like that, but once the pipes have water and no air in them then it's no problem to open the pump basket door. Hope this helps

Fellow neophyte here. I found that I had to let the hose fill the pump basket for a LONG time to ensure that the lines (between the pump and the pool) were full of water. Not at all sure if that's legitimate or not, but it worked. I watched a YouTube vid and the guy just let his pump suck air forever before it finally primed. That seemed pretty stupid to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.