New Polygroup/Summer Escapes/Pro Series 14' build - PICS ADDED

Duder

Apr 7, 2015
Northport, FL
Hello everyone,

I've been reading this forum a lot the last few weeks since we purchased our 14' X 42" Ultra Series pool from Wallyworld. First I'd like to say that this site has been a great resource and I have learned a lot about the process of setting up one of these pools. My significant other set up a similar sized AGP in our yard a few years ago (before we met) and just plopped it down on the sand/grass mix we call a yard and filled it. Of course after reading this forum I said "no way, we've got to clear the site, level the ground, put the legs on pavers, and then fill it". Two weeks later and most of that is done and the water truck is coming Thursday to fill it up.

I'll add some pics later tonight after work but wanted to first introduce myself and say thank you to all the posters on here who put up their experiences so we can all learn a few things.

Finally got photobucket figured out..................

Rented a sod cutter from the rental shop.........Once I got the operation down, it made life very easy. Highly recommend it to anyone putting up one of these. The only issue I had was that our soil here is just sand, so once the sod was cut, it did not "roll" up like it should, it just fell apart. I just raked and shoveled it to clear the pool site. If you have normal grass/soil you probably won't have that problem

Got the pool site cleared and ready to start leveling it. Put a piece of rebar in the center and used a line to make an 8" radius circle, then marked it with spray paint. My assistant was there for moral support

Partially through the leveling process. I divided the site into quadrants, and then again into eighths to break up the task a little. I also used the paint to mark the low areas. I got as close to those as I could and then used tiny amounts of fill to smooth out any uneven areas. I know fill is not recommended but I figured a half shovel here or there wouldn't hurt too much. I just drilled a hole in the 2X4 and hammered it onto the rebar, then slowly moved around the circle pushing, leveling, and removing fill as I went. Slow going but worth it.

Now this I'm proud of. I usually do all my projects solo as the neighbors all run when they see my start pulling out tools on the weekend. Because of this I end up coming up with all kinds of contraptions to hold pieces or make things easier for myself. Since the sod cutter basically just chopped up some half dead grass and sand, I had a lot of fill material laying around the yard. Problem was it was full of grass and roots. I devised this system to reclaim some of that material. I used the top of an old fire pit we had laying around as a sifting screen and shook out 1-2 shovels of soil at a time over my wheelbarrow. It worked great! Just don't get impatient and try to do more than two shovel loads at once as I tried and bent the frame. Anyway in between leveling shifts I salvaged about 3 full wheelbarrow loads of soil which I used to fill holes around the yard. (Mostly dug by my previously shown assistant).

Pool is finally up, after two weekends. Crappy picture but it was taken when I got home last night and it was starting to rain. I checked the level all around and across and it is within 1" in all directions, so I think I did pretty good.

Pool filling company is coming in the morning to fill and I will be in the pool several beers deep by the time she gets home with the baby after work.

I will be using the BBB method and have ordered my TF-100 test kit. Anything else I should do? Landscaping and appearance will be the next step.

Last edited:
I have the same pool and with in a week I knew the supplied pump was not going to cut it. You may want to look into upgrading the pump before you fill it. Only problem with doing the pump upgrade is you will need to change the inlet and outlet. I know some people have done the upgrade with out changing them but I just kept running into problems. Just was not solid to me.

I will be putting my pool up again this season with intex inlets and outlet and hard pluming it. One thing I dislike about the intex sand filter pump is the timer kinda is pointless.

Thanks for the heads up Shoei1. I've read about the swaps and realize the pump probably won't cut it, but I'm hoping I can make it atleast for a while with the stock pump. I can't really delay filling the pool at this point so I'm kinda stuck. I wonder if aquarium bulkheads would fit in the holes and work. They are standard sized PVC and can be threaded.

I don't own an Intex but wanted to welcome you to TFP! Hope you enjoy the site.

Polygroup is NOT an Intex pool, they are different companies. And yes you will not be happy with that pump, but it should last the season, then you can look into getting perhaps a sand filter or something along those lines. I have the same pool and have been very happy with it.

Just make sure all of those legs are plumb and level, looks like you have a couple of them leaning.

Have fun.

Duder,

Welcome to the forum. :wave: Those are great pics and it looks like you are doing a great job. That is a fine-looking helper in pic 2. Does he help with the leveling, raking, etc. or is he job-site security only? :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks guys. Throughout the day I found that she was there mainly to dig holes after I leveled the are and to drop land mines. She does chip in with security though so I'll let her slide. Got the pool filled from the water truck yesterday and already had my first issue....left the house to run an errand and came back to find my return line unhooked and pumping water out of the pool. I replaced the cheap plastic hose clips with stainless steel hose clamps and after re-positioning them everything seems to be good now. Waiting on my TF-100 test kit but in the mean time the cheapo kit says my total chlorine is staying above 4ppm and my ph is around 8.2. Will check again later today but so far so good. Tommorrow will be landscaping day.

EDIT: forgot to mention I re-checked the pool after the fill and everything is level to within an inch, so I'm happy with the way it all came out, thanks to advice I got here.

If your pH is that high, you'll want to add some MA to get it down pronto.

Nice job! As Casey said your PH is high. Instead of MA I suggest dry acid since this is a above ground pool. I ruined our first pool a few years ago because the MA ate through parts of the liner. Dry acid does the same thing and is safe for above ground pools.

MA is safe for above ground pools too. I have used a few gallons in one day from adding borates to my above ground pool with no I'll affects. The key is to pour slowly in front of the return.

Thanks Guys, Got the pH back to where it needs to be, and my Test kit came today. I ended up with the Taylor 2006 kit. Anyway, here a couple more pics....

Filling her up! Took about 30 minutes, and that included me asking the guys to stop the flow once the pool had some water in it so I could straighten and level the legs. If anyone is curious it was $350 to have the water delivered. Expensive water but we didn't really have any other options.

Filled!

A view of our first attempt at landscaping around the pool. Yes, I fixed the crooked leg. The smoke in back is from a leaf pile I was burning.

A better view. Still have to finish up the landscaping but it looks better than it did. Got the umbrella on sale to give the baby some shade. Mounted it on a 4X4 with some 1.5" PVC and metal pipe clamps, painted with some leftover spray paint.

Close up view of the umbrella mount. I will be putting a couple more posts in around the pool and building a small counter/bar around the pool, but that will be over the next couple weeks.

I have umbrellas around mine because my skin just burns to a crisp in the Sun! Ugh.... I have to wear SPF 50!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.