Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I am in need of a new liner and am going to install myself (with friends, who I bribe with beer actually - thanks for the suggestion Casey!)

Some of my initial questions:

1. Reading some old threads on here, I came across a lot of strong suggestions to go with a beaded liner. I see the advantage of not having to remove the top railing for the NEXT replacement, but I presume that I would have to do so for this one given that I currently have an overlap liner. Additionally it seems the choices are more limited and cost is higher (particularly given that I would also need to purchase the track) and I am unsure if my pool would last until the next liner change in any case as I am starting to see rust at the bottom of the walls. General thoughts and experience here?

2. The skimmer and return locations are less than ideal, kind of in a tight spot next to the deck stairs. I am contemplating moving them, could I just flip locations between the wall with the current spots cut out and the next one over?

3. Is there a website that shows good pictures of liners actually in the pool? (Many that pop near the top of google simply show a square so hard to tell where the top design fades into blue and/or what the bottom looks like)

4. Lastly - skimmer seems fine, though there is a small crack in the plastic trim piece on the water side of the wall, though it does not leak, I assume I can just replace this part, or should I just replace the whole things since I'm already into doing some upgrades?

1) Nothing wrong with an overlap liner.
2) As long as you are setting the pool up from scratch, moving the skimmer/return is easy. The main thing is to make sure you have room for the equipment and electricity nearby to run the pump.
3) Not sure
4) You could probably stick with it for another year, but best to replace just that part now rather than risk a leak in a few months. The only reason to replace the whole thing is if you can't find the correct replacement part.

Thanks Jason.

2) As long as you are setting the pool up from scratch, moving the skimmer/return is easy. The main thing is to make sure you have room for the equipment and electricity nearby to run the pump.

My question might be even more basic than that. Would I need to cut all new holes for the skimmer and return or could I simply trade out the section of wall that already has the cut outs with another section/location? I really don't even know if the pool wall is all one round section with posts throughout or if each section between the posts is a discrete wall.

Are you taking the walls down? If so, just pick-up and rotate the pool walls to where you want the skimmer.

If the walls are sectional, and you can swap locations, no cutting needed. I assume you can move the panel to where you want. Essentially the same as above, just easier to do.

My pool is one long wall section bolted together, with several wall posts (28?) and can have the skimmer where ever I want. Your pool may be different.

Last edited:
You can use a j hook liner but you'll still have to take the top rails off. It just slides right over the lip of the wall n then the stabilizer bars go back on, connect to post n top rails.

Moving the skimmer box may be tricky. If your pool is made of panels, you could do it but even if the skimmer/return outlet is on a panel, it may be the only panel. If your pool is like mine n Guy's, it's one long piece of metal that gets bolted together n guess what? You'll have to take the whole pool down to move it. So, how important is it to you to move it? It can be done but may require more beer! :mrgreen:

We could try to help you look at liners. Perhaps start a tread called, Show Me Your Liner! lol

I'd buy a whole new skimmer. But that's just me. You'll get everything you need with a new skimmer. Its also white n not yellowed. They just turn that odd color after awhile.

Thanks for the insight, I was not sure exactly how pools are constructed, but sounds like it varies. The pool came with the house so I have no idea as to the specifics. It does appear that previous owners replaced at least a section of the wall where the current skimmer and return are cut out as it is just a blank stainless steel colored wall whereas the rest has the whitish color with the subtle designs typical of above ground pools. If I can simply swap one section for another I will do so, but rotating the whole thing... I don't want to move it THAT badly.

Also - I have noticed some rust beginning at the bottom of the pool walls, just below the rock line. Is this just usual wear and tear? Is there something I should/can do? Guess when I remove the liner it would be a good idea to go around and treat this from both inside and out??

If it's rusting through, you can use sheet metal to repair it with pop rivots and duct tape over it from inside to protect to liner.

Since you have a panel for your skimmer n return, the likelihood of you swapping for another panel is near zero. You'll have to move the whole pool wall and reinstall where you want it. Its a lot of work and with rust, could prove to be the death of the pool if it's really bad.

If there is dirt on the wall, it can rust.

It sounds like your pool wall is two pieces. One LOooooong wall piece with the pattern outside and one smaller section, frequently stainless steel, that the skimmer is cut into. This is not uncommon.

This is from a google search:
Stainless_Steel_Wall.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.