New Piping layout w/solar

Jun 3, 2014
Hollidaysburg, PA
Hello everyone.

I moved my equipment pad this year closer to my shed on a pad I poured last weekend. I am planning on opening this weekend, or next, and was wondering if you guys can take a look at my plumbing layout. I will add two solar panel this year to help with heating. Last year, I used just the basic black hoses, this year, I will go to such 40 PVC. Any help and criticism is greatly appreciated!

pool%20plumbing%201.0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Check-1 is not needed. Check-2 should be on the solar return, right now it isn't clear where it actually is.

I assume the shutoffs are actually close the equipment pad. They are only needed if the equipment is lower than the pool.

You draw check valves the opposite way of how I interpret them, no big deal.

Everything else looks fine.

That looks good, except I think the vacuum breaker needs to move to top right of solar panels. And the lower check-2 valve needs to be to the left of the tee on the red pipe. The purpose of that check-2 valve is to stop water flow back to the solar panels and force water to the pool when you are in solar bypass mode.

pooldv, the vacuum breaker is fine where it is drawn. It would also be fine where you propose, or in any of several other places (for example on either of the solar feed pipes as they go up the wall). The trend these days is to keep it lower than was common several years ago because you can run the pump at a lower speed when the vacuum breaker is lower.

pooldv, the vacuum breaker is fine where it is drawn. It would also be fine where you propose, or in any of several other places (for example on either of the solar feed pipes as they go up the wall). The trend these days is to keep it lower than was common several years ago because you can run the pump at a lower speed when the vacuum breaker is lower.

interesting. thanks!

OK. I moved the line for the heated return, so my shapes moved. The shutoffs are about 10 feet from the pad. The only reason I had check-2 was in case something happened with the solar, to keep the water from draining down below the shutoff. The solar will be about 10-12 feet from the ground, so it might be moot to have it. Here is my updated drawing. Thanks guys.
pool%20plumbing%201.1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

One minor note, for your solar 3-way, I prefer to have the common pipe be at the center port of the valve ... gives you more control. That may have been your intention, but it is not how you have it drawn.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.