Looking for feedback from SWG users with VS, VF, or 2-speed pumps

ping

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2011
Long Beach, CA
I can't find anywhere in the forum where we have actual data about SWG's and low flow rates. What I'm looking for is the brand of SWG, pump specs, minimum RPM or flow that the SWG works, and your estimated flow if you know it. Many manufactures don't stat their minimum flow requirements and it would be nice to have a list of what works in the real world.

I have a Jandy Aquapure SWG and a Jandy 2HP 2-speed pump. I'm guessing my flow rate is very close to 30 GPM while on low-speed as I do have flow issues once in a while. Jandy's flow requirement is 30 GPM.

The specified minimum flow rates by brand/model are nice to know. But translating that into RPM, or guessing at real world system GPM is exceedingly pool specific.

I have an AutoPilot system, which requires 15 GPM.

IntelliChlor requires 20 GPM.

I have a similar system and I, in a round about sort of way, tried to get that info from Zodiak and they couldnt provide it. From Zodiak rep, "Your pump speed is only important in that the AquaPure can sense the flow of water. If we get a No Flow message, then we'll want to bring that RPM up a little bit at a time. "

I think my Pro-logic / AquaRite requires about 15 GPM.

Flow on low speed drops quickly as the filter gets dirty, so I have to keep a close eye on it as I only have about 20 GPM when the filter is clean on low.

My IC40 will work at 900 rpm if the filter is clean but gives flow error as it starts to clog up. It will run fine at 1100 rpm no mater how clogged up my filter is.

My experience with an IC40 matches up pretty closely with pooldv's. I tried 800, it worked for a bit but shut on and off. 900RPMs and it seemed to work pretty steadily, but it's new. I went with 1000RPMs to be safe.

I have an IC40 and 3 HP intelliflo, and CC420 Cartridge Filter.. I dont get any chlorine generation at any RPM below 1000. At 1000 RPM the swg works, but there isnt any "safety margin", so I have my pump set at 1200 RPM for they hours during the day when I want my SWG working.

I dont know how many GPM that 1200 RPM on my pump equates to. (Too Lazy to look up the flow chart).

My VS pump is set in percentages at 5% increments. I could run my pump at 20% with a freshly cleaned filter and the swg would run. It would not take long for the filter to catch enough dirt to where the swg would register no flow. For my setup, I found 35% for my pump would result in a filter dirty enough to warrant cleaning when the swg would register no flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.