Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water grounding of AGP-help

1. Back To Top    #1

Water grounding of AGP-help

My pool has temporarily passed inspection. Apparently Massachusetts passed a new law that the water must be grounded on above ground pools. Basically the pool stores and the filter companies want nothing to do woith this and leave it up to the elecricians to come up with something. The pool store said that some electricians have been sort of coming up or making thier own part for this. Basically they claim it is made from some sprinkler system parts and is some sort of 6" double treaded brass nipple that connectes to the filter hose and then is also connected to the grounding wire?? I honestly have no idea what they are talking about. All I know is that the electrical inspector for the town I live in said even though he thinks it is ridiculous, he has to follow the law and tell us to ground the water, then he said Good luck figuring out how!
    Well, my electrician who has been researching this just called and said he found a $92 part that gets drilled into the skimmer. I really don't want to do that, I like my skimmer just the way it is!
    Any thoughts or ideas on the best way to ground my water?
    Sharkline 18x33 54"AG, Hayward 1.5hp Perflex D.E., TF-100 test kit

Finally....a pool of our own!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water grounding of AGP-help

You could make your own out of a short rod(brass, copper, etc.). The way I'm thinking is to put in a PVC Reducer Tee and have the reduced part with maybe a 1/2 or 3/4 pipe. Then get a rubber boot/coupler that has one end the size of the pipe and the other end the thickness of the rod. You may have to use more then one reducer to get the PVC off the Tee down to a size where they make a coupler that has the other end small enough to securely hold a rod.

I'm thinking it would look something like this...

HTH,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

3. Back To Top    #3

Get a length of copper rod and a bonding wire, attach the bonding wire to the pump and drop it over the top rail, let the inspector inspect it and pass it for final inspection, then pull it out when he leaves.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the ideas! Great diagram launboy! although I am hoping for a simple solution, my husband does not do very well with these types of things, if you know what I mean! I will pass these ideas on to our electrician. I have a feeling we may hear more about this next spring when more and more pools get set up in this area.
    Sharkline 18x33 54"AG, Hayward 1.5hp Perflex D.E., TF-100 test kit

Finally....a pool of our own!