What Is Everyone using To Measure Chlorine?

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
I have a standard measuring cup that I use to measure out my bleach prior to adding it to the pool? I'd like to get something larger (Say 64 oz or so) so I can do my measuring in one shot and don't have to measure/add three to four times.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use?

Thanks!
Dan

With a 21,000 gallon pool, you don't really need to be that accurate. My pool is about 21,000 gallons as well, and I just remember a gallon of 10% will raise my FC by about 5ppm, a gallon of 12% will raise it by about 6ppm and a 121 oz jug of 8.25% will raise it by 4ppm and eyeball it from there.

I have a standard measuring cup that I use to measure out my bleach prior to adding it to the pool? I'd like to get something larger (Say 64 oz or so) so I can do my measuring in one shot and don't have to measure/add three to four times.

Thanks!
Dan

Check the "Paint" section at Home Depot or Lowes. They have measuring "cups" from about 32 Oz. to 2.5 gals. They are cheap to purchase and are plastic. Some have handles, some don't....

With a 21,000 gallon pool, you don't really need to be that accurate. My pool is about 21,000 gallons as well, and I just remember a gallon of 10% will raise my FC by about 5ppm, a gallon of 12% will raise it by about 6ppm and a 121 oz jug of 8.25% will raise it by 4ppm and eyeball it from there.

How about a gallon of 6%? That's what I use...

I'm kinda like John now that I know what additions do what. Restaraunt suppliers have a nice selection of graduated pitchers with clear markings for large amounts of liquid measure. I tried find those at various places when I wanted one, and they were hard to find until I looked there. I'd suggest that if you have one near by.

Thanks!
Dan

I went to Lowes and bought one of these and it works out nicely. It has oz. and mL marks on the side (oz. in 8oz. increments up to 64oz.)

i just eyeball it with the big jug, since its usually like a 1/4 or 1/2 a bottle of chlorine. with muriatic acid though, i use a pyrex measuring glass and sometimes mix that in a washed out old chlorine jug mixed with water - especially if i need my wife to pour it - much safer. for me its pretty much 3oz of ma = .1 ph.

I have one of these that I use for adding MA when needed.
41JpzAUjneL._SX342_.jpg

But with bleach, I just estimate. Usually it's half a jug, 2/3 jug, whole jug, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use a Rubbermade 2 quart drink bottle. With my 20k pool, 20 oz of 12.5% is good for 1 ppm. Even measuring lesser strengths is easy, 25 or 30 oz for 10% or 8.25%.

Easy to measure out the dose for the day. The lid enables me to carry it from the garage to the pool without spilling. And the sipping lid allows me to pour it in nice an easy.

Seconding the comments that you don't really need that much accuracy. You just kind of get an estimate from Poolmath and eyeball it, even the difference between e.g. 1/3 and 1/2 of a gallon of something won't make much difference unless you have a really small pool I guess. After a while you won't need to check pool math or anything, and you'll just say "meh, I'm guessing 1/2 a gallon" unless things get out of whack on you.

Of course, now that I've got a salt system and acid dispenser I'm finding myself micro-managing _it_ to try to achieve +/- .5FC levels and PH within a .1 PH range, so I guess being a bit anal about it is OK ;)

with muriatic acid though, i use a pyrex measuring glass and sometimes mix that in a washed out old chlorine jug mixed with water - especially if i need my wife to pour it - much safer. for me its pretty much 3oz of ma = .1 ph.

Just tossing out a warning here.........No glass around the pool. :D

I 3rd that you really dont need to go so accurate as you might just be making it more tedious esp during a SLAM period. I learned my lesson last year in my first pool opening when I tried to use 32oz cups....now, i just use pool math and if it says dump 230oz, i just dump 2 gals XD

I have a much smaller pool so I don't use that much at a time. I just use an old 2.5 cup measuring cup and my trusty bleach bucket. I measure in the kitchen. If I need more than 20 oz I measure and pour it into the bucket and fill the cup again.
I am paranoid about getting bleach on my clothes after getting it on my shirt one time :( so I only carry it to the pool in the bucket. Even if it's 10 oz. I set the cup in the bucket and carry it out. If it spills it spills in the bucket and not on me!

And... I wear my trusty bleach shirt. LOL
Paranoid. But I know the day I decide it's overkill and walk out there with my 15oz of bleach in a measuring cup *that* will be the day I trip, or sneeze or something!

Maybe this year I'll figure out something more streamlined...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.