Question On Adding Chlorine After Opening

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
I'm going to be opening my pool in a few weeks. This is only my 3rd season so I'm still learning. Love this site!.

Last year I tested the water & started adding chemicals the second my cover came off. I know now that I need to run the pump for a day or two before I can get truly accurate readings.

Even knowing that - Should I just assume that the chlorine level is at zero and add some chlorine (I use bleach) right after I take the cover off??? It just doesn't feel right to me to pull the cover and not add ANY chlorine for a day or two while the pump is circulating the water.

If the answer is yes - how much do I need to add if I can't accurately determine the CYA level the second the cover comes off??

Thanks!!
Dan

It shouldn't take days to mix the water. Run the pump for an hour and brush the pool to set up some crosscurrents and that ought to be enough to get a rough idea of where your chemistry is. pH and FC first. Worry about fine tuning until you're sure it's all mixed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.