Is 4 hours of pumping a day a general rule of thumb?

Aug 5, 2014
Oviedo, FL
Roughly four hours a day, ideally split into a couple of different segments at different times of day.

The speed should be set to the lowest speed where the skimmers work well and if you have a heater, the heater is happy with.

Is this a general rule of thumb? I'm also interested in a schedule for my setup - I have a Pentair Variable Speed IntelliFlow where max RPM is 3450. Builder told me 8-10hours on 2200RPM-ish...

Re: Variable Speed pump schedule?

For this forum, it is a general rule of thumb. It is based upon member experiences as well as the run time study in my signature which shows that there is little water quality improvement after 2 hours of run time. 4 hours is conservative because some pools might need more.

Re: Variable Speed pump schedule?

I would start with running it 2 hours in the AM and 2 hours in the PM at 1100rpm. If it doesn't stay clean over a series of days then increase the run time by 30 min and see how it goes. If it is spring or fall and you have trees then you need to run it a lot longer during those times.

It is really about trial and error to find the least, or close to the least, amount of time to keep it clean. If isn't clean run longer, if it is try running shorter. But, you electricity consumption will be so much less with the VS pump you might not mind running it.

Also, you don't have to run the pump so that every last leaf and every last piece of dirt is picked up. That is purely optional and only about your own tolerance for debris.

With fresh plaster you typically want to run 24/7 for the first week and then something like 8 hours a day for the rest of the first 30 days, and then after that cut back to roughly 4 hours a day.

Also, it is good to do whatever your builder says, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense, to insure your warranty will not be threatened..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.