Solar Cover - InFloor Cleaning system battle

MARCO...polo

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 4, 2014
East Contra Costa County CA
First off; many thanks to the people of this forum. As said below my pool was completed towards the end of last summer. After trying to run things as instructed by my PB and then being attacked by a fast growing attack of bio-film on my pool walls I quickly switched over to the TFP methods I had discovered when I had the 16'X48" Intex above ground. A healthy dose of bleach, a bump of the SWG and I haven't looked back.

As part of the contract with my PB I was promised a solar cover. After initial completion of the pool it took several prompts and weeks to get this delivered to me. When it was, the box was simply dropped in the side yard; no fitting, no cutting, no how do you do. I'm sure the PB was just as eager to run away as I was to have him do so. That however is another story to be shared over many cocktails, tears and laughter. Last weekend with the weather promising to turn summer like I cut and fitted the cover to the pool. The pool is peanut shaped with a raised spa taking a bite out of one corner and is equipped with a in-floor cleaning system. The cleaning system operates whenever the filter is on and requires a couple of hours each day at high flow/rpm. I'm currently running high for two hours and low enough for chlorine production for another two. This brings about two problems for the cover: the spa spillway will operate, dumping water, aka waterfall when the spa popups are running AND when the pool pop-ups are rotated towards the walls on the swim out/love seat (12" depth) and tanning shelf (8" depth) and the water bounces back off the sides to the top of the cover, flooding the surface. I anticipated the spillway issue and cut a large section out to accommodate that problem. The pop up bounce back I did not. I have temporarily addressed the issue by folding back the cover in the effected areas with some success. I'm sure that I need to cut back the cover in these areas. BUT before I do I wanted to see if anyone might have an alternative solution rather than chopping off a significant portion of my cover.

Thanks in advance.

Well there are 2 options I think.
1. Leave the pool cover larger where the floor jet shoots up the wall so that it is up on the deck ... too late for that.
2. Cut a section out so the water does not shoot up on the cover.

I recall having similar issues at my previous house. I got fed up with dealing with the cover and just installed large solar heating arrays :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.