Testing during the off-season without the pump and filter running

Jul 20, 2014
Berks County, PA
Hi,

I noticed that I get very mixed results. I have been testing ever since I closed the pool due to the new plaster - trying to keep tabs on the SI with pH rising, etc. in the hopes of preventing scale (more likely) or etching (less likely) - since I was told by my plasterer that if the pool is ever going to scale, it most likely will occur the first season following the winter after replastering. Anyway, if I agitate the water around with a paddle (by partially pulling back the cover) I get totally different results than if I just reach in and take a water sample from inside the skimmer. I assume the inconsistent test results are due to the chemical composition of the water being varied throughout the pool especially with winter snow melt and so forth, but what was really weird was that when I tested for CH I got a strong color change already at a reading of only 30 - that can't be right. And so the next time I did it I got 160. The water in my Taylor kit changed to a bright aqua color when I got the reading of 30 - different color than what I usually get. The reagents are all fairly new, so I can only presume that, again, I'm just experiencing weird inconsistencies with the pool water. Is it not really possible to get accurate testing if the water is not being circulated? I did the pH several times and I believe it is at least at 8.8 so I added a pound of dry acid. I'll recheck and see where it is at this point.

Thanks,
Keith

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.