Extending pool bonding and scary picture

NeedMoreSun

LifeTime Supporter
My new equipment pad should be poured today, if it stop pouring from the sky anyway. I intend to get the new controller mounted as well as all the plumbing done in advance as I can with new equipment (main pump, SWG) as well as rough in what will need to connect to extend all the pipes to the pool. On cut-over day I "hope" to schedule someone from a pool company to empty, move, and refill the sand filter and the only remaining plumbing will be the final connections to it as well as cutting what runs to the pool to connect the new stuff. Assuming I can schedule an electrician for the same day to move the electrical circuit (it's along the existing wire path so it should only need to be dug up and shortened) and to extend the bonding.

I assumed an electrician would handle it, but after what I found today I want to be sure I also know so I can be sure it's correct. First question is once extended the point of connection will eventually end up under a patio slab. Should that be pulled up high enough and mounted on the wall or anything so the actual connection is visible for any future repairs, or safe left under the slab? The second question is "Can you believe this picture????". The wire to the right runs to the pool. From the clamp on back to the left runs to the booster pump. But, what a fine splice to protect my family's safety!!!

That "splice" is certainly not up to code. There are various ways to fix it, some of which allow it to be encased in concrete and some don't.

To be able to replace the pump, you really want more slack than that, so that whole section should probably be redone.

That doesn't really look like copper. Can you tell if it is copper? and just corroded? Nothing but copper is acceptable.

It's copper. Besides being so corroded that splice also allows each wire to move so it's not even tight. The right side heads to the pool. That portion is what I'll need extended by about 12 feet and then the pumps hooked back up there so everything on the left side of that fun looking splice will go away. The area they are currently crammed into will become patio.

With a licensed electrician I "hope" they can just decide the best means to extend from that point and how, but finding that someone at some point thought this was a good idea had me scared. I have all the installation receipts from the previous owner and it was all done by a local pool company. One receipt specifically for replacing the booster pump and a new Polaris 380. I don't think I'll be calling them to move it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.