When is a good time to open the pool in Pennsylvania?

tcasto

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2013
Bucks County PA
Happy Spring Everyone!
We are going to try to open the pool ourselves for the first time this year. We paid a service to do it the past 3 years and we paid a lot for nothing. We paid $350+ for two guys to take the cover off, take out the plugs, flip the switch on the electric box, start up the filter and put in some liquid chlorine. We paid the same again for closing. They never checked/cleaned the filter for us or let us know that it needed to be done. My brother helped us close this past fall and he could not believe how dirty the filter was and that we paid the service to do nothing.
That being said, we want to open it ourselves this Spring and do it right. We would welcome any advice as to when to open it and how. I read the "sticky" and I know that I will be referencing it often. Any supplies we should have on hand besides the test kit? Our fiberglass steps were yellowed when we closed the pool and I hope to get some Vitamin C to clean them off as soon as we open then pool.
1. Other than the 16 inch crescent wrench my brother said we would need for the filter, some crushed Vitamin C or asorbic acid in a sock, the test kit and some bleach, what else should I have handy when we take the cover off. We have been using the Taylor Test Kit, bleach, baking soda and the numbers were good when we closed.
2. When should we take the cover off? We have one of those covers that an elephant can stand on - I assume it is mesh? I understand from this site that it is best to start things up early to avoid algae, but my brother who lives 3 hours further north in the Catskill Mts of NY says it is too early - that we probably still have ice. What is the consensus here? Keep in mind we are being hopeful that it will be warm enough for a pool party of sorts on May 9th :p

Thanks
T

do you have a way to take the tempeatue of the water? I believe you want to open when the water temperature is still below 60. I tend to have a lot of tree debris in my water even with the cover on so I try to open with the water temp around 50.

You should open the pool and start balancing the chemistry before the water temperature rises above 60 degrees to lower the likelihood of dealing with algae ... assuming you closed correctly ;)

After circulating for an hour, a full set of test results will tell you what you need to adjust.

I always wait until it's 50 degrees, hook up the pump and balance the water. I leave the loop loc cover on for another month and run the pump a couple hrs a day. After all the pollen and junk falls from the trees that's when I pull the cover.

I'm in northern Delaware and we're up and running already! I open early as my job gets me busy starting in April of each year. Never even think about swimming until late April/early May at the soonest, but at least it's one less thing I have to deal with later on and I don't get caught if the weather suddenly spikes and gets warm. I think my water temp right now is about 48, but I can take my time balancing the chems, etc. without any worry of algae growth. I won't even install the SWG unit until mid-May typically. Right now, it gets a shot of bleach every few days. I'll kick the heat pump on toward the end of April/early May depending upon the long-range forecast and start putting the solar blanket on as well. We generally are in our pool about a month before most of the neighbors, for what it's worth.

Thanks so much everyone! I will have to get the thermometer out this weekend. We are scheduled to have a few 70 degree days this week, but the nights will be in the 40s. I will try to open it the weekend after next when I can get some help. Looking forward to a great season :p

I'm opened mine today. The cover is off n it's filling up!

It's suppose to be in the 70's all week. I took advantage of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine is cold but I always open in April, even if we get snow later. lol

Not too shabby! :mrgreen:

I'm in western Pa, and use the 60 degree rule. Usually by the end of April the water is around that temperature. I pulled the cover back today and all the water is a block of ice. Guess it will be awhile before I have to worry about the water temperature!

I'm in western Pa, and use the 60 degree rule. Usually by the end of April the water is around that temperature. I pulled the cover back today and all the water is a block of ice. Guess it will be awhile before I have to worry about the water temperature!

This is crazy. I'm not too far away from you and my water is pushing 55 right now. Ice melted WEEKS ago. I pulled the cover off and opened to a nice clear clean pool last Thursday.

Hi,

I'm in South Jersey and I usually open up the first weekend of May. I may decide to do it the second weekend of May this year, because the weather has been usually cold lately and the first weekend of May falls rather early this year. Good luck.

Central PA (1/2 way between Harrisburg and Philly) and 40F water as of last weekend. I normally wait for about 60F water but my pool is normally a green mess by the time it hits 60 with the FC and CYA long gone, but I use a tarp not a real cover so that might be it. I pealed the back back last Saturday and with 40F (ok maybe 41F) water found a 6" wide green ring around the water line so in a first for me I left the tart on but fired up the pump and started getting the water back in balance. acid and CL in and 24 hours later all was right with the world.....but the water is still a frigid 40.

Central Pa here too, between Harrisburg and Philly as well.
Openned our pool last evening. Couldn't believe how in balance the water was, except for the chlorine. Simply amazing. A little ph adjustment, and shocked the heck out of it.
It had a small very, very faint green color on the sidewalls, but water was clear. By this morning everything was gathered on the bottom of the pool center waiting to be vaccuumed out.
Only my forth opening, but the easiest by far !!!

I am in Souderton, near Quakertown and yesterday I was actually swimming in my pool. Really more like removing leaves from the bottom when the undersized winter cover blew off two weeks ago. I was in the pool for three hours and it was 70. It was refreshing!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.