I got "Pool Stored" (High CYA)

Apr 5, 2015
Austin, TX
Like many others I read about I found out too late that using chlorination tabs adds CYA to your pool water that accumulated until you can't keep up with the chlorine and need to drain/refill your pool. LPS read 80ppm CYA last week and FC of 8ppm. They told me my FC was too high, so I read about it and found out that you need a higher FC level at 80ppm CYA than their recommended 3-5ppm, so my 8ppm should be perfect. Next time I visit the store I ask them about it, but the guy there knows nothing about a CYA and FC relationship. I'm still unaware of the CYA increasing with the use of chlorinating tabs and happily buys an in-line feeder for my tabs which I proceed to beautifully install, feeling really proud.
Now after having read a bunch in this forum I understand that using those **** tabs is setting me up for having to replace my pool water partially. I ordered my own CYA test kit and read 100ppm (I haven't diluted with 50% tap water to get a more accurate reading yet but it's bad enough as it is). I'm starting to think that LPS has a policy of acting like they don't know about the thichlor/CYA relationship to get their customers to just buy more of their expensive chemicals? Does LSP have a rep on this forum? Most reputable companies does have a presence on active forums to gain consumer trust. I'd like to know why a pool supply store doesn't know about this very basic thing that it seems like everybody that works with pools are aware of?
From now on I'll get my chemicals from amazon.com and Walmart and use the poolcalculator.com and a TF-100 to figure out how much I need.
Thanks to all the experts on this forum whose posts I been reading!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

As you are now aware, you experience is far from unique unfortunately. 80ppm was high enough that you should replace water, now that you tested it at 100+, you are definitely going to have to replace water. How much depends on the actual CYA level.

What test kit did you buy? These are the Recommended Test Kits.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Also realize that we now recommend PoolMath which TFP controls and has updates that poolcalculator.com does not.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

As you are now aware, you experience is far from unique unfortunately. 80ppm was high enough that you should replace water, now that you tested it at 100+, you are definitely going to have to replace water. How much depends on the actual CYA level.

What test kit did you buy? These are the Recommended Test Kits.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Also realize that we now recommend PoolMath which TFP controls and has updates that poolcalculator.com does not.

I got this test for the CYA http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VU8WVE/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But I'm ordering the TF-100 that's recommended here to be able to measure more than the CYA.

It feels bad to have to refill and flush out all the chemicals I bought, haha. At least I've learnt something!
I'll check those links out and make sure I'll get it right this time. :)

Thanks!

I'm starting to think that LPS has a policy of acting like they don't know about the thichlor/CYA relationship to get their customers to just buy more of their expensive chemicals?

In regard to LPS (and probably other pool stores), I would assign their position to Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.