LifeTime Supporter
Apr 12, 2007
I have a leak!!!
Here are the facts: 16x32, 3 to 9 ft vinyl IG
1-skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns

I lose approximately 1 inch every 24 hours with no pump running
I lose approximately 1/4 in. in a 24 hour period with pump running
I do not lose the prime in my pump

Read somewhere that this means it would be a 'before' pump leak, main drain and/or skimmer. Is this correct? And does anyone know who I contact for leak detection, plumbers or pool guys? Thanks for all your expert help! You mods are great!! Kay

Attachments

• The PoolForum - SeanB request.pdf
    61.3 KB · Views: 0
  • The PoolForum - I hate to see this forum dying a slow death..pdf
    38 KB · Views: 0
WshnIwslofn said:
I have a leak!!!
Here are the facts: 16x32, 3 to 9 ft vinyl IG
1-skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns

I lose approximately 1 inch every 24 hours with no pump running
I lose approximately 1/4 in. in a 24 hour period with pump running
I do not lose the prime in my pump

Read somewhere that this means it would be a 'before' pump leak, main drain and/or skimmer. Is this correct? And does anyone know who I contact for leak detection, plumbers or pool guys? Thanks for all your expert help! You mods are great!! Kay

Useful info for us: Where are you located? How old is the pool?

Normally when it behaves like that, it is a suction side pipe leak that is partially closing up when the pump is on. Before you do anything, eliminate some of the obvious things:

Make sure nothing is running out your backwash line.

If you can, plug your skimmer like you are winterizing and shut its valve off and repeat your water loss tests. If the loss goes away, you've narrowed it to the skimmer line.

Look for wet spots between your equipment and your pool. The lines are probably above the frost line (I'm assuming you live somewhere it freezes???) for most of their run. Start at the pump and dig the lines out yourself, and you will save big money over hiring somebody. The first place to dig would be where you know there are elbows. Right at the equipment pad is a good start. Another good place to look is where any kind of heavy vehicle may have driven over the plumbing.

A good trick if you know it's in a particular line is to plug the line at one end and the pressurize the line with a Drain King and a garden hose. If the ground is dry, it will often produce a wet spot after several hours.

Eliminate all of the easy stuff yourself. If you find it, you'll be way ahead. If you don't, you won't have to pay an expensive leak detection company to check the easy stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.