Looking for ideas on "waxing" the filter, and product for protecting stainless rails

steveg_nh

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 7, 2013
Southern NH
Looking for ideas on "waxing" the filter, and product for protecting stainless rails

So I uncovered my pool equipment today, but was surprised to see how faded the top part of my Hayward 6030DE filter is, the lid. Pool was installed in October 2013, so it's not even 2 years of New England sun yet. During the winter, the equipment is loosely covered with a tarp, so it's really just the 3 seasons it's exposed. I've kicked around building an open shelter of some sort, but the pad is close to the house, so I'm not sure it would look really good. Anyway, I figured at least protecting it with a good quality marine wax with UV inhibitors would be a good idea. Any thoughts on that plan? I tried an auto wax I had earlier today, and it didn't really bring back the color like some waxes say they will, so I'm hoping the marine wax does a better job. But I'm open to other ideas or suggestions.

The other thing is a recommened product to protect the stainless steel rails and deep end ladder. I was surprised to see how much staining these pieces had. No real rust or anyth8ing, but tons of staining from the salt and the little but of stuff that actually goes in the water, aside from people. :D I got them all cleaned up with Nevr-Dull, and they look great, but I'm wondering if there's some kind of pasty type wax product you should use on these to help protect them while they are in use and installed, to cut down on the effects of the salt and water. I found some solvent type products like ProtecaClear by Envirobrite, but in some ways, I wonder if those are more work than they are worth in terms of all the precautions. I looked quickly online thinking I'd find something easily, but came up empty. Any suggestions for that too, assuming this is a good idea?

And yes, I have the "it's almost time to open the pool" itch. Can't wait!

Thanks for any pointers.

Re: Looking for ideas on "waxing" the filter, and product for protecting stainless ra

So I probably need the "restorer" version, vs just the plain jane cleaner/wax that's sold? Might have to stop by West Marine then. I looked on my shelf of boating supplies and didn't have anything that fit the bill.

Re: Looking for ideas on "waxing" the filter, and product for protecting stainless ra

Just an an update, I went to West Marine today and saw the product I couldn't remember that I wasn't remembering! Yeah, read that slowly and you'll get it. When I used to have my boats, I always used it and it was really good Starbrite Chrome and Stainless Polish. Picked it up and will apply it tonight to the rails and ladder...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.