Need some good advice for a new kids pool !

bernek

Jun 24, 2014
RO/EU
Hello,

I'm planning on installing my Intex Easy Set pool this summer for our little daughter ! she will be almost 1 year old and I want to make her a surprise pool this summer. (it will be in 2-3 months).

I will of course be all the time with her in the pool and I will buy all the safety equipment that is available !

I'm here to ask you guys about a few things that should help me in maintaining the water in the pool and setting up the pool:

1. Do you think I need to clean it with some chemicals (chlorine or detergent) before I set it up ? The pool was used once before (last summer) and didn't cleaned it properly and just stored it in the attic. (the pool was clean at least visually and I was pouring quite a lot of chlorine each week).

2. What values are recommended for pH and free chlorine (in PPM) ? 7-8 PPM for pH and 1-3 PPM for free chlorine ? are these values safe for 1 year old kids ???

3. Can I use floculant (or algicid) if a small child uses the pool ?

4. if I keep pH and free chlorine levels in the safe spot what other things should I look for ?

5. Will insulating the bottom of the pool with 10cm thick Polystyrene (the extruded one) will help at not loosing heat from water to the ground ?

I mention that filters and heater will be turned OFF while our little daughter will be in the pool and disconnected from the power source !

I just want to make sure that my surprise will be a pleasant one without any problems !

Thanks in advance !

Bernek

Welcome to the forum!

Our attitude here is that a million dollar million gallon pool is the same as a 400 gallon intex pool. Buy a good test kit, and maintai the chemistry correctly. We can't say "X" is the correct range for FC, because FC is a function of CYA.

Take a look at pool school, especially "The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry." Then ask questions so we can help fill in the blanks.

1. Do you think I need to clean it with some chemicals (chlorine or detergent) before I set it up ? The pool was used once before (last summer) and didn't cleaned it properly and just stored it in the attic. (the pool was clean at least visually and I was pouring quite a lot of chlorine each week).
If there's crusty stuff you can scrub off with a sponge, then clean it. Otherwise, no. The pool will be full of bleach water. By the time it warms up enough to get in, it will have had days to get clean. When you're inside, you can go around with a nylon scrub brush. Scrubbing tightens the arms.
2. What values are recommended for pH and free chlorine (in PPM) ? 7-8 PPM for pH and 1-3 PPM for free chlorine ? are these values safe for 1 year old kids ???
pH should be 7.2>7.8. FC level depends upon the CYA level. Strange as it seems, 5 FC with 50 CYA is gentler on skin and swimsuits than 1 FC and no CYA.
3. Can I use floculant (or algicid) if a small child uses the pool ?
Save your money. Just maintain the pool chemistry and you won't need either.
4. if I keep pH and free chlorine levels in the safe spot what other things should I look for ?
Filter pressure. Debris. Be careful if you're using powdered forms of chlorine, lest the CYA build up too high. I know good test kits and high-strength liquid bleach are hard to find in Europe. If you're forced to use powdered stuff, look for Calcium Hypochlorite. It won't raise the CYA level and it won't affect the pH much if any.
5. Will insulating the bottom of the pool with 10cm thick Polystyrene (the extruded one) will help at not loosing heat from water to the ground ?
Yes.

Agreed with above. Once you put water in it, it is no different than any other pool. Maintain you chemicals based on test results. When a kid pees in it, which will be anytime they are in it, test after use and adjust chlorine as required. If a kid poops, I would probably replace half the water if the pool is small. I did have a raccoon drown in mine and I just dumped a lot of chlorine and we stayed out of it for a week. I can't imagine why you would need floc. When you put it up, if it looks clean it should not need to be cleaned. Chlorine will take care of it. A ground cover won't hurt but you should consider a solar cover for the top to keep heat in overnight.

Thank you very much guys for your promt respone ! Parrenting is a busy job and I wasnt around to post back. I was very happy to see that you've spent your time to answer my questions !

I will follow your advice and also read "The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry." :D

I will insulate the bottom of it ! The pool will be heated with an INTEX heater 3.5kW and it will be at around 92 F (33 C) (since its a very small pool).

I'm thinking about building one from steel foil (there are kits here) but not sure what to pick and how to get started. Fiberglass is not an option sadly since I can't find the right size (they are too big). I will set it up the next month maybe and come back with some pictures !!!

Thanks guys !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.