What to adjust first?

Apr 5, 2015
TX
We opened our 39,000 gal vinyl liner pol last summer. After setting all winter it's a dark green mess and u cant see 6" into the water. I know the bottom is covered in leaves since last Fall. I tested the water with the cheap hth brand test strips and readings as followed:
FC: 0 Ph: 6.4 TA: 120 TH: 200 CYA: 0
which do I adjust first? Do I Shock the pool (using Cal-Hypo) and then add Cyanuric Acid and Soda Ash or do I fix the Ph before shocking and see if the CYA levels come up on their own after shocking it, as I'm pretty sure I remember reading Cal-Hypo raises CYA levels. Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

Start by raising the PH to 7.2.

Then start raising CYA.

Add 2 ppm of chlorine each evening until 24 hours after you start adding CYA, at which point you switch to targeting the appropriate FC level for your CYA level.

In the long run you may want to work on lowering TA, but only if PH is constantly going up.

Welcome! :wave:

First thing: ditch those test strips. They won't cut it. You need a proper test kit. For a pool as big as yours and being a green swamp, you want a TF100 with the XL option. I make no money off this, it's what I use. A long writeup explaining why it's the best deal is here.

Second, read some other articles in pool school, chiefly ABCs and SLAM

Third, physically remove as much debris from the pool as possible, even working blind with a leaf rake or leaf bagger.
Casey-LeafRake.jpg
Sallie-LeafBagger.jpg

Fourth, adjust pH after taking readings using your proper test kit. Add CYA if needed to get to 30 or so and then start adding chlorine to kill it, just like the SLAM article says. Pay attention to the prerequisites listed in that article.

For some inspiration, check some other threads. I need to organize it again, but you'll find some good ones in this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72516-Recovering-my-old-inspirational-links

Jason and Richard, thank you both for your response. Ill try exactly that. Il keep reading until I have a better understanding of all this. Planned on buying a better test kit already after reading through website a bit earlier. I'll try the one you recommended! Thanks again!

Welcome to TFP!

First, the previous responders gave you good advice. I would follow it.

Steven Vickery said:
Do I Shock the pool (using Cal-Hypo)
We recommend using liquid bleach (the plain unscented, no thickeners added stuff) for chlorine.

Also, suggest adding info about your pool to your signature. It would help us give more targeted advice for your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.