I explained pool chemistry to my 8 year old with a video game analogy

jjmac

Mar 19, 2015
Allen, Texas
Wasn't sure where to put this post, but I wanted to share :)

I told him that maintaining a pool is like playing a starship video game. You're are piloting the Starship Chlorine and it's your job to use your laser and kill all of the aliens. The aliens come in many forms including bacteria, algae, and amoebas to name a few. Your ship has a force field that protects you from dying, it's called your CYA force field.

He asked me how strong the force field was, and I told him he could make it as strong as he wants. So he said of course he wants it at full power! I told him there's a drawback, the stronger your force field, the weaker your laser, if you put your force field at 100%, your laser goes to 0%. He thought about it and said, ok let's do no force field and strong laser! I told him he can't do that, he wont even survive a day without a force field. So he came to the conclusion the idea is to have some force field, but not too much.

Soon I'll have him taking care of the pool!

I love it. I have the five year old helping me test the water. She even knows to turn the cup upside down to get the sample and to never skim it from the top. The seven year old, well she found Playdoh more interesting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.