Little to no chlorine consumption

bwright42tx

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 25, 2008
My water is pristine and perfect, almost sparkly. However I accientally put a little too much Chlorine in i the other day (about 4 days ago), and I can't seem to get my chlorine levels to drop.

I had two trichlor pucks in he skimmer (per my PB's requirement for the 1st 2 weeks) and added a little too much bleach to the pool, raising my TC and FC to about 6.0 I now have no pucks in the skimmer for three days and the FC is at about 5.0. My CYA is at 35 according to the pool store.

I have been having to add about a gallon of muratic acid every day to keep the PH down as the plaster is curing.

I'll post a full set of test results from my TF100 tonight if I get the chance, but for now I was wondering:

1. Does all the muratic acid I've been adding slow and/or eliminate the chlorine usage?

2. Does my Spa spillover provie enough aeration to noticably raise the PH in addition to what the plaster curing is doing?

3. Also I've been running the waterfall about 2 hours a day, is this providing a noticable PH rise?

Thanks.

Bryan

If only everyone had trouble losing FC.... :mrgreen:

Do you have a solar cover on? Solar covers help prevent FC loss from sunlight.

As for the PH rising, aeration causing PH rise is directly related to your TA, so what is your TA? A waterfall and spa are enough aeration to cause it to rise, especially if the TA is on the high side.

The MA wouldn't affect the FC. In any event, at 35 CYA, a FC of 5-6 isn't "too high" and won't hurt anything.

No Solar Cover, Not much "direct sunlight", shaded by the house most of the day, but it probably gets 3 to 4 good hours of sunlight a day. The TA is still over 200, so the areation could be contributing to my PH rise along with the Plaster curing.

I've now been about 24 hours without any CHlorine pucks at all in the skimmer, I'll see what the chlorine level is like tonight and post a full set of test results.

Can anyone tell me how much CYA the pucks add?

Thanks,

Bryan

From what I am seeing, I already need to stop using the trichlor pucks as my CYA is high enough. Its amazing how different pool stores give you different results when it comes to water tests. Here are my numbers per pool store #3 today:

FC 3.0
TC 3.0
CC 0
pH 7.6
CH 50
TA 155 (yay, its finally dropping)
CYA 50 (I need to test this myself, seeing as it jumped from 35 to 50, and there was maybe 1 puck added over that time)
Sat Index: -0.37

I added another gallon of Muratic Acid, and I'll test all the numbers myself tommorrow with my TF-100, I'd go do it right now if my wife weren't already waiting on me. The only one that seems really off is the CYA level. If TriChlor pucks rasied it that high after only two weeks, then that is a serious problem, how do people ever manage using Trichlor as they're only source of chlorine?

Where do I want my CYA to be with a manually dosed pool?

Yikes! A gallon of muriatic may have been a little "generous" :shock:

BBB is all about testing carefully and calculating doses carefully. Did you use the pool calculator? If your pH is now below 7.0, use 20 Mule team borax to get it back to 7.0 and then aerate if your T/A is still not in line.

I would suggest a CYA of 40 for your conditions.

I loose only 0.5 FC for my shaded pool, if its cloudy I may loose less. I still get some direct sunlight though in the morning.
So if you started with 6.0 three days ago and today at 5.0, not too bad. I am at only 25 CYA and you are 35.

Wow, 1 gallon MA for 18K is a lot. My water double that and 1 quart bring my down from 7.6 to 7.4. I think you will get 6.8 now. Gee, I did not know new plaster can do that.... :?:

Have fun with the pool... :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This morning I tested everything yself with the TF-100. Its suprising pool stores can be off that much. My CYA is only 25, I feel much better about that, but I need to stop using the pucks, because I don't really want it much higher than that. PH is 7.2 this morning, so the PH rise continues. TA is finally coming down tough.

Here are the numbers:

PH 7.2
FC 4
CC 0
TC 4
TA 140
CH 150
CYA 25

So Hopefully I can get by with just 1 or 2 more "pucks" and keep the CYA under 30. PB just said I had to keep 2 in he skimmer for the 1st 2 weeks, and he'll be back out this week to do a final start-up/pool school. Then I'm on my own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.