Does the Aquarite system limit chlorine production?

Aug 28, 2013
Oxford, MD 21654
This is my second season with the pool and the first in which I opened.
This morning’s testing results
FC-6
CC-0.5
pH-7.6
TA-75
CH-280
CYA-70
Salt-3300 from Aquarite and 3400 from taylor test ket
Temp 56⁰

From The Aquarite menu
56⁰
25.2V
3.11A
100% set to super chlorinate, so I know the cell is working.
AL-0
r1.58
t-9

When I first opened the pool, 3 weeks ago, the temp was around 50⁰ and the pool had a FC-11, CC-1.0. And the rest of the testing results were on the low side but not too low. I have slowly brought them up to the readings this morning. The water temp over the past couple of weeks rises to around 60 throughout the day then back to low to mid 50’s. Last year I ran my aquarite around 35% throughout the summer and maintained a FC around 4-6 and CC below 1.
So far this season I’ve had to keep adding bleach every couple of days to maintain my FC around 5.
I know the aquarite stops producing below 50 but why do I have to keep adding bleach to maintain my FC?

Thanks

The AquaRite won't work at all below 50. It also doesn't work very well in the 50s. According to the diagnostic display it is running at about half of it's full capacity. I assume that is because of the low water temperature.

On the other hand, the pool shouldn't need nearly as much chlorine in the 50s as it would at warmer temperatures. So I suspect something else is also going on at the same time. It is possible to have a low level algae problem, something you can't see in the water but still enough to consume some extra chlorine.

I asked The manufacturer about this some years ago. If I remember correctly, below 50 it shuts the cell off, and between 50-60 it will only run at 20% regardless of how high you set it.

The AquaRite won't work at all below 50. It also doesn't work very well in the 50s. According to the diagnostic display it is running at about half of it's full capacity. I assume that is because of the low water temperature.

On the other hand, the pool shouldn't need nearly as much chlorine in the 50s as it would at warmer temperatures. So I suspect something else is also going on at the same time. It is possible to have a low level algae problem, something you can't see in the water but still enough to consume some extra chlorine.

Thanks Jason, So Ive searched around but can not find what the v/a are at full capacity....do you know?
Should I continue adding bleach to maintain my FC until the pool warms or should I shock it now?

I asked The manufacturer about this some years ago. If I remember correctly, below 50 it shuts the cell off, and between 50-60 it will only run at 20% regardless of how high you set it.

That's great to know...thanks

I would bring the FC up to about 10 and conduct an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if there is al low level algae problem about to burst forth. If you fail the OCLT SLAM the pool.

With a T-9 cell amps can range from 2.3 – 6.7 amps. Numbers around 6 amps are normal in mid-summer with a cell in good condition.

Thanks Jason....I just wrote this on my unit for future reference

I would bring the FC up to about 10 and conduct an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if there is al low level algae problem about to burst forth. If you fail the OCLT SLAM the pool.

Thanks Tim, I will do this tonight

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

For the aquarite, if the salt readings from the box match the Taylor drop test, that's a good indication that the amps are correct for that water temperature. If the cell was underperforming, it would be reporting lower than actual salt levels.

So I just did the OCLT...last night my FC was 9.5 CC 0.5, water temp was 58
This morning the FC was 8 and CC 0.5, water temp was 50

So with that I guess It's worth Slamming?
I guess I stop at the local WallyWorld and pick up a couple cases of bleach

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks...will do.....
Being this was my first opening and the water looks crystal clear, I could not imagine what was going on.
That is why we teach accurate testing and knowing your pool. A pool store would have looked at your original numbers and told you to reduce FC as it was above their normal recomendation of 5. When the algae started to cloud the water they would sell you lots of stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.