pump timer opinion?

rajung

Mar 17, 2015
Cedar Falls, Iowa
my pump has a 20amp, 15ft long cord with a large GFI attached near the plug end,this plugs directly into another GFI on my outdoor service post.
This year I would like to get away from running my pump 24/7 unless I run my heater which will shut down" lock-up" if it notices no water flow.
I purchased a mechanical outdoor metal timer,encased it into a plastic weather proof large box housing for extra measure,drilled 2 holes on bottom with weather proof cord cable restraints,wired male connector to timer which will plug into service power post 20amp GFI.
Then also wired female plug to timer which I intended to plug the original power cord from pump into that.Problem I have, I noticed when ever I unplug the cord from the outlet, the factory in line GFI trips and I have to push re set button.So my timer idea I thought would be great,is not going to make anything any easier as I would have to continually re set the breaker after the time shuts off the pump and re starts a few hours later.
I like the in line breaker on the Doughboy pump and don't know if I should eliminate it and just count on my GFI of the receptical alone?

Sometimes two GFIs in a row can give each other trouble. It is certainly safe to eliminate one of them. We had our Intex salt and pump GFI plugs plugged into an outdoor timer and into a nonGFI outlet and it worked great for several years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.