Water shoots out of return like a geyser

Hello, I am new to this forum and I have been researching on how to hook up a sand filter to an Intex above ground pool. The pool my family owns is small, about 15'-16'. We recently bought a Hayward sand filter, 16" filter tank with a 1.5 hp pump. Originally, amazon said it was a 1 hp pump but on the pump it's labelled 1.5. I'm afraid it might be too powerful? When I hooked it up to the pool, first I tried with the hoses that were supplied with the pool originally, water was shooting out like a geyser out of the return. Is there any way I can reduce the water pressure? would hard plumbing it with valves to control water flow into the pump work? Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks,
Sabrina

Welcome to the forum SabrinaRinaBoBina :wave:

Can you please add your pools info to your signature as outlined here (best you can): http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

Can you also post the part and or model numbers off the filter, pump and motor so we can look them up ??

Any chance you have photos of how it's set up ??

You don't want a valve to cut down water flow into a pump, it needs to be on the output side to reduce outflow. Restricting flow into a pump can cause pump damage.

Yep. Too much pump. I have a 1.5 hp pump on a 34K gallon inground pool. Can you return the pump? I know Amazon has always been good to me about returns. You could put a valve on the outlet of the pump before the filter to slow the flow, but my biggest concern would be the extra electricity you are burning with an oversized pump. Of course, you shouldn't have to run it too long each day, so the actual $ amount is probably negligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.