HardiBacker and ElDorado Stone

ethand

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 6, 2008
Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I am to the point of putting hardibacker on my island and have a question (oK a few questions). I have seen a few other threads discussing stone over hardibacker but none that exactly matched what I am doing so I apologize if I missed something.

I plan on putting El Dorado Veneer Stone on the outside of the island. The El Dorado website shows a requirement of Water Resistivie Barrier, lath, scratch coat etc.

From what I have read here and seen in pictures of what guys are doing it looks like most are putting cement glue over the hardibacker then the scratch coat.

Several questions:

Will this work for veneer?
Will the cement glue seal the hardi and the corners over the tape where there are small gaps?
Is the scratch coat basically the morter that bonds the stone and the hardibacker or is there somehting after the scratch coat?

Again, thanks for all that I have learned on this and other forums.

I am in San Diego if that makes a difference.

E

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure what the substrate is (plywood?) so I can't get a picture of what you're adhering to.

We want you to stay here for BBQ and Pool info but Johnbridge.com is the best tile forum on the web. Just like TFP, they will give you quick, accurate answers if we are unable to help with you stonework.

If you go over there, mention TFP as your source.

I've got it now.

I don't see why they are asking for a moisture barrier. The stone, thinset (cement), and the hardibacker are all porous and there would seem to be no advantage in applying a barrier in the middle.

It seems like you could apply the thinset directly to the CBU and then set the stone on it.

Again, I'm not a tile guy but have done it several times and have a reasonable grasp of the process.

The concrete adhesive along with your thinset should be sufficient. Over the 9 years on the BBQG Forum, I have seen it done many times and not once did I ever hear about failure. This method is not well known in the industry since BBQ Island construction has been somewhat of a "black art".
I have attached a couple photos from my CD.

Attachments

• NJ Island 11.jpg
    NJ Island 11.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 466
  • Stone Siding.jpg
    Stone Siding.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 467
I researched this situation extensively while doing my build. I came to the conclusion that the manufacturers' recommended installation of vapor barrier, wire mesh, scratchcoat, then applied stones with mortar base is just plain overkill on an outdoor kitchen build.

I rolled on concrete glue right over the Hardibacker, let tack, then applied a 1/2" thick scratchcoat. Let dry overnight, then applied the stones with the recommended mortar mix. The bond achieved is great!! FWIW!! C-Ya!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.