IC20 Reading Very Low Salt

Apr 4, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
I have an Intellichlor IC20 SWG that I purchased 2 1/2 years ago. It's the newer model that can't be field calibrated. It is hooked to a pentair easy touch system and reading 2350 ppm for salt in the pool. The pool store has checked the salt twice and shows 3000 ppm. The pool temp right now is 74 degrees so it shouldn't be reading low as it did during the colder temperatures. Usually, the pool store gives me a lower reading than what the SWG shows. I clean the cell every 90 days with a 5:1 water to acid ratio. I tried cleaning it twice, but no luck. I'm hoping the SWG isn't bad. The last one lasted about 5 years. This would be a short life for this one. Current chem readings are as follows:

Chlorine: 5 (only because I added liquid chlorine. It was 0)
Ph: 7.4
Alkalinity: 80
CYA: 40 (a little low)
Calcium: 350

Hope someone can offer some guidance. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jlouis

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You should only clean the cell if there is visible calcium buildup. All those cleanings may have shortened the life of the cell and it may be going bad.

A sign of a failing cell is when it starts reading a lower salt level than reality.

Have you had the cell tested at the pool store?

Thanks! Haven't had the cell tested at the store. I was there the other day and they claimed the intellichlors can't be tested. Is that correct? I should have been clearer on the cleaning, but I checked cell every 90 and only cleaned if there was build up on the plates. I did clean it 3 times over the last couple of days after reading different forums claiming it may help clear a dirty salt sensor. Thanks for the quick reply.

It won't hurt to add more salt, goal is 3400 ppm and intellichlor don't mind oversalt condition. I've only cleaned my IC40 once in three years. I think it has a clean led indicator on it, I'd have to look though. You are correct that temp is not a factor.

I added a bag of salt today and the salt reading came up to 2950 and the cell turned on (green). It had dropped to 2200 after some rain. That would be a big jump in the ppm for 1 bag of salt. Usually a bag will increase the ppm by about 400 depending on water level. Maybe the salt cell is re calibrating itself...maybe it was thirsty for salt...lol. Hoping to stretch this salt cell at least one more season to feel as if I got the advertised "3-5 year life" out of it. I'm going to take a water sample to the pool store to compare their salt reading with the cell. Hopefully, the cell is reading closer to actual.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.