Variable speed install recommended electrical components.

TK-421

Mar 4, 2015
Southern California
So my Ecotech 1.5 hp VS motor finally shipped from being on backorder for quite awhile and I am preparing for the install.

Currently at my pool pad I have a mechanical Intermatic timer, and do NOT have a local disconnect.

I will be removing the Intermatic timer.

1. What is the recommended surge protector for a variable speed motor? I have a Intermatic PS3000 in my cart online right now.

2. What is the recommended disconnect at the pool pad? I have an Intermatic PA600 in my cart online now.

3. Is there anything other that I should add while I'm doing the install?

Thanks!

Mine is just the plain old intermatic mechanical time clock. I don't have a surge protector at all. That looks like it will work great. Guess I probably should order one too.

Mine is just the plain old intermatic mechanical time clock. I don't have a surge protector at all. That looks like it will work great. Guess I probably should order one too.

Ya I figured for me, I could use the intermatic mechanical timer as the disconnect.

I was just thinking that if there was ever an emergency where we needed to shut the pump off it would be easier for the wife or company to see a BIG red switch that says off.

I have two surge protectors, a larger one (Eaton Ultra 109420) on my main service panel to protect all the electronics in the house and a smaller one on my pool sub panel. The one on the pool equipment only cost $25.

Amazon.com: Square D by Schneider Electric SDSA1175 Panel Mounted Single Phase Type 1 Surge Protective Device: Home Improvement

The reason for a second one on the pool panel is that the long run from main panel to pool sub panel can act as an antenna picking up a surge from nearby lighting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I should have clarified. The house and garage are on separate meters, separate service. Thanks. The house has a surge device on it's panel, the garage does not. The garage is roughly 100-125 ft from the pool panel. The pool is wired through the garage service. Since it is such a long run I was thinking it might be better to put the protector at the pool panel or does it even make any difference?.

Just remember that, if your pool panel has two phases (most do if there's any 220V pumps or heaters), then the surge protector you choose must protect both hot connections. Typically 2-phase surge protectors are slightly more expensive and they will require two slots in your panel.

At a distance of 125 feet you should have a surge protector at the garage panel too. It's relatively cheap insurance if you have regular thunderstorms. Also you need to make sure you have a disconnect visible from the pump. No the timer does no count.

The $25 Square D one I posted is for 220v service. It has a limited capacity, I wouldn't recommend it for your entire house, but for a pool sub panel it should suffice.

I installed one of these at the pool panel.
ipOMUGe.jpg

I think I will get one for the garage as well. The disconnect is about 2 ft from the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.