Grease for Multiport Valve

CRG_80cc

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2007
Nor-Cal
One of my valves has a grease fitting on it. I don't know when the last time it was greased by the previous homeowner. What kind of grease should I use? I have some that I use for my jetski trailer's wheel bearings that are water resistant since they are always getting submerged in water.

Also do you just pump in the grease until you feel a slight resistance?

Thanks,
Chris

What kind of valve is it?

I had problems with a Hayward 4 way ball valve that had become difficult to move over the years, and someone recommended I try silicone grease. So I put some on the ball but it didn't seem to make a difference. Turns out there was this screw-nut that needed to be slightly loosened before changing the valve setting. I'm not sure if your valve has anything like that? So perhaps look for a silicone grease? I think I saw one that said "marine use" or something like that, I think it was at HD Or Lowes. Perhaps contact your valve manufacturer and see what they recommend?

If this is the kind of valve that I am thinking about, the grease fitting already has the grease in the fitting. It is designed to be injected by screwing the fitting nut in about 1 turn while the gate is positioned in front of the injector. I usually prefer to remove the screws and disassemble the valve to clean and lubricate it. You should not use any type of grease that is not specifically designed to be used on pool gaskets.

PoolOwnerNumber9 is right on the money. You want to use a silicone or teflon based grease made for pool use such as Magic Lube (teflon) or Magic Lube II (silicone). Get it at the pool store!

The valve sounds like a Jandy. I believe they are the only ones still making a valve that has a grease cup. The cup ususally needs to be refilled yearly (and the o rings in the valve often need replacemt on about the same interval). Once you fill the cup turn it in about one turn and turn the valve back and forth several times to distribute the grease.

Thanks for info everyone. Here are some pictures of the valve. So I have to take the valve apart and grease it manually or if I can find lithium grease in canister, can I use a grease gun instead?

Backside with grease fitting

Front with actuator

We have had our Anthony pool/filter for 25 years and filter is still working fine (knock on wood). We do our own maintenance except blowing the lines in the fall and have gotten good at it but we are always learning. One thing we have only done once and it was long ago was to repack the grease fitting on the valve. Should this be maintained regularly and how would we know if it needs attention? The valve handle moves ok. I don't know if its Jandy but looks exactly like the one on the right:

Thanks
Terri

plumbing_valve_jandy_valve_with_grease_fitting.gif.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.