Replace Jandy Plus HP with Pentair Intelliflow VS

robl45

Oct 27, 2007
Parkland, FL
As the subject says, my Jandy Plus HP is leaking. I repaired it once, might try to repair again, its split at the seem in the body where the water exits. Anyway, its just a matter of time before it needs to be replaced. What are the odds that the intelliflow VS will just drop into place and line up with the plumbing from the Jandy plus HP?

It won't, you will need (very minor) plumbing adjustments.

An IntelliFlo is not your most economical choice in Florida. A two speed pump will cost less in total lifetime costs.

It will cost less in aggravation for me since the variable speed I just hook the cable up to the aqualink. Plus I honestly can't see how a 2 speed would cost less. I can have a speed for filtration/SWG. I can have another speed when running the heat pump which is at least an hour or 2 ordeal to heat the spa, and I can have a third speed to run the blower jets when I'm finally ready to get in the spa. And a fourth speed to run the laminar jets when I want them working.

What are the minor plumbing adjustments needed?

So pump has seized, it is done, I am ordering the pentair intelliflo this weekend. What kind of adjustments is it going to need to drop in place of the plus hp 2.5 I have now and can I use the same unions or do I need to buy the unions that are recommended for it?

I would buy the recommended unions. Odds are not good that the plumbing will line up. It will likely need a plumbing tweak.

I have that pump and LOVE it.

I can't just use the unions already there? I'm assuming they unscrew from the existing pump?

apparently they don't unscrew, I bought the unions. I'm hoping this is a simple job. From what I can tell, with the aqualink PDA, I need to leave it connected to the filter pump relay according to the manual and then i set the speeds in the PDA.

I don't think speed can be controlled through a relay. My pump is powered directly by the circuit breaker and the low voltage cable goes to automation to control the pump.

OK, I'm not familiar with the aqualink PDA. Give it a shot and let's see if it works. Make sure to read the pump owners manual also with regard to hooking up automation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The manual says the filter pump relay turns it on and then speeds are set through the PDA when filter pump is active.
The manual is confusing. That particularly statement does not apply to a variable speed pump controlled over a data cable. The IntelliFlo should be wired directly to the circuit breaker and will be turned on/off via the data cable.

The manual is confusing. That particularly statement does not apply to a variable speed pump controlled over a data cable. The IntelliFlo should be wired directly to the circuit breaker and will be turned on/off via the data cable.

Well I hooked it to the filter pump relay like the manual said and used the data cable. It works perfectly like that. Unfortunately, there appears to be a problem with the threads in the housing so I only got to play with it for 15 minutes or so, but it turned on and off at the correct speeds, switched to the correct speeds when something was turned on, etc. I was pretty impressed that it worked so simply. I expected to be playing with that part for awhile to get it to work correctly.

Stupid thing seems to need 1950rpm or I get no flow on the aquapure salt generator. I figured I'd be able to run lower with the generator. Is that normal? Heater worked at 1950 rpm as well. My plan is to run as low as possible to chlorinate/filter the pool and just crank up the speeds when running the laminar jets, or blower for the spa.

That is pretty high rpm. Mine will run the SWG at 900rpm with clean filters. I run it at 1100 rpm so that there is no issue with the filters as they clog up. I have never had a low flow error at 1100 rpm. I run 1950 rpm through my solar panels. How many elbows does your plumbing have? Does the filter need cleaning?

Nice that it is selecting speeds, programming automation can be the hardest part.

That is pretty high rpm. Mine will run the SWG at 900rpm with clean filters. I run it at 1100 rpm so that there is no issue with the filters as they clog up. I have never had a low flow error at 1100 rpm. I run 1950 rpm through my solar panels. How many elbows does your plumbing have? Does the filter need cleaning?

Nice that it is selecting speeds, programming automation can be the hardest part.

The filter probably needs a replacement at some point but everything runs fine. I'll have to watch it longer when I have this pump issue sorted out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.