Not Sure Where to Start - Or What We Are Doing Wrong

Can't tell from here. You will have to experiment on that to see what happens. Turn one at a time and go look at the skimmers to see what happens.

I was thinking about the plumbing a little more (weird, I know!), and here is my guess on what is happening here.
Pipe on left of valve with motor is spa suction.
1st pipe on right of valve with motor is a skimmer
2nd pipe is a skimmer
Pipe all the way on right with no valve is the main drain

That is how I would plumb it. Notice the tab opposite of the handle on the valve says off. If you point off toward a pipe it will shut off flow from that pipe.

Here is the link to the software.

http://www.pentairpool.com/support/screenlogic2-update.html

To set up the pump speeds, you have to do "configure screen logic" from the login screen, instead of "Start Screenlogic". You can rename some of features 1-8 under step 2, and set the speeds on step 4.

My speeds are:

Pool: 2250 RPM
Spa: 2500 RPM

I have some other features set up:
1500 RPM
2500 RPM
3000 RPM
3450 RPM

I turn these on when doing various things (for example, at 1500 or 2500 if I want to run the filter without the SWG overnight to clear up the water, and 3450 RPM to get the best skimming right before a swim). Currently I also have 2500RPM set up on a schedule. Pool runs from 7am to 12pm (with chlorinator) and the "2500rpm" feature runs from 12pm to 3pm. The only reason I do it this way instead of running the pool for 8 hours is that I've found that the amount of filtering I need to keep the water really clear varies a lot throughout the year. If I was always adjusting the time that I run "Pool", then I would constantly be getting a different amount of SWG time during the day as well, and would have to properly calculate the percentage for the chlorinator. Instead, I always run the chlorinator for 5 hours per day, and therefore 25% on the chlorinator is a fixed amount of chlorine added per day.

Thanks Carl, I'm trying to wrap my brain around how to run the filter without the SWG. I guess I need to download the manual and read up. Thank you for letting me know there is a lot more that I can configure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there, So we survived my MA impatience.

Today's numbers
FC 4.5
PH 7.3

Aerating each day to bring PH up to 7.6 and then to bring it back down to keep lowering the TA.

Two questions:

Should I have the salt tested or wait until my water is all balanced?

Our pool is really full from the rain. I asked my husband if we should drain it and he said we didn't have to. However I'm noticing it isn't really skimming things off the top. Is this because it is overfull?

Hi Po,
you're looking good.

If all of your lights on the salt cell are green, then its happy. Thats really all that matters. But if you want to test it because you just want to know, then thats fine too. But not a necessity.

I would think your pool has a built in overflow. If you have one, it wil be at water level, and have a small grate over it. Have you ever had to drain water before?

The water level should be about 1/2 way up the skimmer mouth.

Your skimmer may not be doing as well as you like, because the RPM of the pump might be on a "low" rpm. You can increase teh skimmer action, by increasing your pump RPM.

Hi there, So we survived my MA impatience.

Today's numbers
FC 4.5
PH 7.3

Aerating each day to bring PH up to 7.6 and then to bring it back down to keep lowering the TA.

Two questions:

Should I have the salt tested or wait until my water is all balanced?

Our pool is really full from the rain. I asked my husband if we should drain it and he said we didn't have to. However I'm noticing it isn't really skimming things off the top. Is this because it is overfull?

Good evening Dave,

We do not have a built in Overflow. The water is up to the ledge of the pool so the slimmer area is FULL of water. There is a lot of fuzzy stuff on the top the water that isn't usually there so I logically thought it wasn't making it to the filter. There was a MESS in the pool yesterday from the storm Saturday night. We spent a while brushing, scooping, etc and now what's left is the fuzziness.

I have not been the "pool girl" in the past so I don't know if the hubby has ever drained it or not (he's at work). It's supposed to rain again on Wednesday [emoji15]

Hi Po,
you're looking good.

If all of your lights on the salt cell are green, then its happy. Thats really all that matters. But if you want to test it because you just want to know, then thats fine too. But not a necessity.

I would think your pool has a built in overflow. If you have one, it wil be at water level, and have a small grate over it. Have you ever had to drain water before?

The water level should be about 1/2 way up the skimmer mouth.

Your skimmer may not be doing as well as you like, because the RPM of the pump might be on a "low" rpm. You can increase teh skimmer action, by increasing your pump RPM.

ohhhh Ok, well this isnt a problem. This one is easy!

what you need to do then is set your filter setting to waste, and turn on the pump. That will drain the water from the pool. Drain it down till the level is half way at the skimmer mouth.

I have to do this this to my pool too. I have prolly drained 6 inches last week! Ugh!

Good evening Dave,

We do not have a built in Overflow. The water is up to the ledge of the pool so the slimmer area is FULL of water. There is a lot of fuzzy stuff on the top the water that isn't usually there so I logically thought it wasn't making it to the filter. There was a MESS in the pool yesterday from the storm Saturday night. We spent a while brushing, scooping, etc and now what's left is the fuzziness.

I have not been the "pool girl" in the past so I don't know if the hubby has ever drained it or not (he's at work). It's supposed to rain again on Wednesday [emoji15]

This may seem like a silly question, but will it drain out the same place as back washing? I just want to know where the water will go so it doesn't drown any plants.

And what is the difference between waste and backwash setting? Just curious.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Its not a silly question at all Lisa,

yes, it will go to wherever the backwash does.

The difference in waste and backwash, is that on backwash, some water is diverted backwards through the filter. This disturbs the sand and washes out the dirt from it.

With the valve on waste, the water is not sent through the filter at all.. it goes straight into the exit pipe.

This may seem like a silly question, but will it drain out the same place as back washing? I just want to know where the water will go so it doesn't drown any plants.

And what is the difference between waste and backwash setting? Just curious.

Drained some of the pool today, but don't really have a place for the excess water to go. I must need a longer backwash hose. Due to the rain, the yard is already soaking wet and I don't want to drown my plants. Where does your water go when you drain it? Hmmm

Testing
FC 6
PH 7.2

Sooo, rather than decrease SWG % this time, I decided to decrease the time the pool runs. I dropped it by 1.5 hours and also increased the time the water fall runs from 1 hour to 2 hours for more aeration during the day. Do those decisions seem to be good ones based on FC raising and PH not raising?

I'm going to hold off on worrying about salt since the SWG is happy. [emoji1].

How often should I test the PH? Is every other day ok?

I will test CYA again this weekend since it all just finally dissolved from socks on Sunday.

Well well.. you are certainly learning the ropes!
Changing your pump run time is a great alternative to the output of the SWG. The end result is the same! :)

you can test Ph every other day since it isnt moving much, not a problem.

I bought a 100 ft long 1 1/4 inch firehose on eBay for cheap. and I use that as my drain hose. I didnt have any luck with the blue plastic ones and none I found were long enough anyway.
I run the firehose hose to the street drain whenever I need to drain some water.

Drained some of the pool today, but don't really have a place for the excess water to go. I must need a longer backwash hose. Due to the rain, the yard is already soaking wet and I don't want to drown my plants. Where does your water go when you drain it? Hmmm

Testing
FC 6
PH 7.2

Sooo, rather than decrease SWG % this time, I decided to decrease the time the pool runs. I dropped it by 1.5 hours and also increased the time the water fall runs from 1 hour to 2 hours for more aeration during the day. Do those decisions seem to be good ones based on FC raising and PH not raising?

I'm going to hold off on worrying about salt since the SWG is happy. [emoji1].

How often should I test the PH? Is every other day ok?

I will test CYA again this weekend since it all just finally dissolved from socks on Sunday.

Well well.. you are certainly learning the ropes!

I've had great teachers!

Divin Dave said:
I bought a 100 ft long 1 1/4 inch firehose on eBay for cheap. and I use that as my drain hose. I didnt have any luck with the blue plastic ones and none I found were long enough anyway.
I run the firehose hose to the street drain whenever I need to drain some water.

I might need to look for one of these! I don't think 100 ft would go to my Street, but it would go further back in the woods and enable me to change locations of the overflow.

Thanks again! It's off to give standardized tests today!

Today:

I looked on eBay and only saw 1 1/2 inch. Are 1 1/4 inch hard to find? I'm guessing 1 1/2 inch would be too big?

FC 7.5
Hmmm, guess lowering the hours didn't help much (or that CYA is kicking in). So I lowered the % and lowered the time another 1.5 hrs. I reset all the schedules so that the pool filter, SWG, cleaner, spa, & waterfall are scheduled to come on throughout the 24 hour day and not just running for 6 straight hours. (I lowered to 5) Any other suggestions for the rising FC?

Another lingering question which may have to do with the valve discussion and RPM discussion and the possibility of figuring out how to run the filter at a higher RPM without the SWG on, but it's the sand in the water. Here are pictures of the skimmers and a picture of where it pools in a curve. Suggestions? Causes?

5ba2604ccd4ddfb86b0dfe674b6e2ffd.jpg
82fb7378b1800c49fc0322a585f4fba6.jpg
504d7a59e3e187d7894a189a300c7471.jpg

Hi Po,
a 1 1/2 inch firehose to substitute for the cheap plastic blue hose will pass the water fine. It will last you for years!

I used something else because it was there, and a little less expensive than the 1 1/2. I will post some info for you about how to connect it to your backwash pipe in a bit.

The "sand" on the skimmer. Well, its there because the water flow through the skimmer mouth isnt strong enough to take that with it. That might not actually be sand. Sand sinks rather quickly.
But it very well might be dead algae that you are finally getting the remaining bits of. If you touch it and it desintigrates, its dead algae. (dead algae looks exactly like that). If indeed it is algae, once its gone, you may never see anything like that there again.

If its sand and you touch it, well .. it will feel like sand! :)

lets find out what it is first before trying anything with your pump or circulation.

Regarding the FC.. dont know about you, but here where I am 100 miles south, we havent had a lot of sunlight. When its perpetually cloudy as it has been, the FC will run a point or 2 higher than normal, because the sunlight is not burning it off.

As spring and summer become more "normal" with lots of sunshine, you will likely have to adjust your FC back up a little.

Today:

I looked on eBay and only saw 1 1/2 inch. Are 1 1/4 inch hard to find? I'm guessing 1 1/2 inch would be too big?

FC 7.5
Hmmm, guess lowering the hours didn't help much (or that CYA is kicking in). So I lowered the % and lowered the time another 1.5 hrs. I reset all the schedules so that the pool filter, SWG, cleaner, spa, & waterfall are scheduled to come on throughout the 24 hour day and not just running for 6 straight hours. (I lowered to 5) Any other suggestions for the rising FC?

Another lingering question which may have to do with the valve discussion and RPM discussion and the possibility of figuring out how to run the filter at a higher RPM without the SWG on, but it's the sand in the water. Here are pictures of the skimmers and a picture of where it pools in a curve. Suggestions? Causes?

5ba2604ccd4ddfb86b0dfe674b6e2ffd.jpg
82fb7378b1800c49fc0322a585f4fba6.jpg
504d7a59e3e187d7894a189a300c7471.jpg

I am pretty positive it is sand, but I will double check when we get home. We've been out test driving cars - wishing [emoji5]️-

Yes, we haven't had much sun here either and I did consider that as well.

Today the PH was 7.5 and FC 7. I made a few more adjustments, but just minor and will continue to monitor. I figure by Saturday, the ph will be up to 7.6 and I'll add the MA, but not a gallon [emoji12].

Thanks so much Dave, I'll have the hubby looking for a hose [emoji6]

Hi Po,
a 1 1/2 inch firehose to substitute for the cheap plastic blue hose will pass the water fine. It will last you for years!

I used something else because it was there, and a little less expensive than the 1 1/2. I will post some info for you about how to connect it to your backwash pipe in a bit.

The "sand" on the skimmer. Well, its there because the water flow through the skimmer mouth isnt strong enough to take that with it. That might not actually be sand. Sand sinks rather quickly.
But it very well might be dead algae that you are finally getting the remaining bits of. If you touch it and it desintigrates, its dead algae. (dead algae looks exactly like that). If indeed it is algae, once its gone, you may never see anything like that there again.

If its sand and you touch it, well .. it will feel like sand! :)

lets find out what it is first before trying anything with your pump or circulation.

Regarding the FC.. dont know about you, but here where I am 100 miles south, we havent had a lot of sunlight. When its perpetually cloudy as it has been, the FC will run a point or 2 higher than normal, because the sunlight is not burning it off.

As spring and summer become more "normal" with lots of sunshine, you will likely have to adjust your FC back up a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.