In the market for a new pump

sduphily

Gold Supporter
May 11, 2012
Dover, DE
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
When closing my pool last season, my pump finally bit it. It was actually really good timing really...scary even. Spark, smoke, and the tripping of the breaker. I left things alone at the time...it was getting cold at the time. So this past week, I pulled the motor off after doing some research hoping that it would only be an issue with a capacitor or something a rebuild would handle. Needless to say...shot:
20150329_165951 (Small).jpg

I'm interested in getting a 2-speed or variable pump for a replacement. I've been trying to figure out numbers for my existing head/gpm, but I'm not sure if anything I'm coming up with is correct.

I have estimated about 175' on the suction side and 95' on the return side plus 64' return through a water feature...all 1 1/2" PVC. Here is a shot of my pad:
20150403_121617 (Small).jpg
The two lines that shoot down from the return are for a future heating solution...possibly solar, but not confirmed yet...at least a season out. After the SWG, the return line splits...left to a small water feature which normally stays shut...only needs to be open 1/4 way if that for functionality. The right which is always open supports two returns...TEE underground.

The filter is a Hayward Pro Series Model S270T. Motor was a Hayward Super Pump 1.5HP Model C48L2N134B1 / SP1610Z1M.

After some super-quick looking around, I'm possibly leaning toward an EcoStar. I definitely would want to start off with something that could handle turning over the pool twice a day.

Another factor that is coming to mind is a motor type/brand that can handle being in the elements. I'm not sure yet as to why the bottom of the motor corroded so bad, but I definitely don't want a similar issue happening with a new motor purchase...the existing motor only had two seasons on it.

Any suggestions are welcome.

For a simple pool with no spa and a small water feature, plus average electric rates, you will be best off economically with one of the smaller two speed 1 HP pumps, for example a Hayward Super Plump or Pentair SuperFlo. If the water feature is larger, you might want to get a 1.5 HP like what you have now, expect a two speed.

If you are specifically interested in a variable speed, look at some of the smaller variable speeds, like the Hayward MaxFlo VS. The EcoStar is going to cost noticeably more up front and not save enough extra to ever pay that back.

A small roof to protect the pump for direct sunlight and most of the rain would help improve the lifetime, though your setup doesn't look very suitable for that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.