Mar 13, 2015
Savannah GA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
WP_20150403_11_20_05_Pro.jpg

I decided to call a feed store about Sodium Bicarbonate and they carried it in 50 pound bags for $18. I'm including a snap of the ingredients all of which are safe for pool use. Cheapskate level pro... :)
I split it with a neighbor so 25 pounds at $9.....

- - - Updated - - -

And for fire ants around the pool.....95% Acephate.... 1 pound at $18....
I live in the city, but the feed store was only 5 minutes out of town.

That is a good price. But I have to ask why? What is the overall need for that much bicarb on hand?

You start with a recommended TA level of 70 to 90, which is most likely similar to your fill water. You now have enough sodium bicarb on hand to raise the TA in your 13,200 gallon vinyl lined pool by 100 points.

You will typically find that most TFP maintained vinyl pools will reach a happy medium on the TA and the Ph will raise slightly over time with use of bleach. If anything, you will most likely need to lower Ph every few weeks and take small actions to lower your TA on occasion.

Does your pool have some issue where TA is consistently low?

I'm not trying to be a pain here, I have 4 to 5 lbs of A&H Baking Soda that I bought 2 years ago sitting on a shelf in the basement right now, and never use it now. Yeah I used to notice the water was a little softer/silkier with bicarb additions, but as soon as I stopped doing that, my Ph swings leveled off and I stopped chasing my tail. I typically add 16 oz of MA every three weeks to keep my Ph in check at this point, and live with a TA of 90 to 100. YMMV.

Does a fabulous job cleaning my dishwasher every few weeks. Baking soda, table salt, and Dawn. I put it in the detergent cup and run a normal cycle. Dishwasher cleans like new. Now, for the other 4.97 lbs. Lol. Good thing is the it doesn't go bad.

ewkearns I would suggest you test your fill water for TA. An addition of 31 lbs in your new fill on a 30k gallon pool would be good if your fill water is zero TA, which highly unlikely.

I'll also note that I did read that the OP split the original 50 lb bag it with his neighbor. The remaining 25 lbs he has will raise his 13.2k gallon pool by 100 points, as stated earlier.

TFP practice suggests you have a reason for and a understanding about adding things to the pool.

$10 will buy me two weeks worth of bleach. I'm just curious why I would want to have the bicarb sitting around taking up space and why have a sunk cost in something that may not be needed?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.