how many pillows?

kjcole

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2008
Solon, Iowa
My first closing with an AGP 15 X 30 will be coming up in a few weeks. I've ordered one 4X15 air pillow. Will that do it (oriented along the long axis of the pool)?

Also, these Aquador skimmer covers look interesting. What does the initial installation entail? Not sure I want to mess with a skimmer seal that currently is tight and leak-free.

Kelly

Kelly, welcome to TFP!!

The pillow you have is fine!

To install the aquadoor on the skimmer, you'll need to change out your existing skimmer faceplate with one that will accept the cover - it's not hard nor complicated - if you decide you want to go with one it will save you from having to lower the water every fall and protect your skimmer from ice expansion damage over the winter. I'll walk you through the faceplate switch if you'd like 8)

Good luck with the closing :-D

If you get really really cold weather it is often best to drain below the returns. Several inches of ice are not apronlem, but as the ice gets seriously thick it moves up and drags anything sticking out onto the water along with it, possibly tearing the returns/skimmer right out. This is not an issue in most areas, but you are pretty far north.

I live in ND. So you know it gets cold. Like 20-25 below zero cold. :grrrr:

I have plugs that screw into the returns. I do have to raise the water level a bit above the returns due to them siting low in the pool. This pool is over 30 years old, and the lliner was put in about 5 years ago. We never have had a problem with ice. Even when it expands, I have it down about 18" from the skimmer, and that works great.

I do suggest putting a bottle of Pool antifreeze with a little bit left in the bottle, upside down in your pool skimmer though. That way if it does freeze, it will compress the bottle and antifreeze will come out and thaw the ice out. Works great.

I plan to close late next week up here. That time of year I guess.

good luck with closing!

Well, that seals it for me. I figure if you can drive your car onto the lake to go ice fishing, one better count on more than a few inches of ice in the pool. I'm playing it conservatively and draining to below the skimmer and return. Since mine is an AGP, I'm disconnecting the hose so water can't collect in the skimmer, and I"ll plug the return with the little disc that came with it. And the sand filter and pump are headed to the basement (unless I've misestimated the weight of that filter!).

Kelly

Kelly, don't herniate yourself taking the filter in :shock: Unscrew the plug on the bottom, put the multiport in an 'inbetween' position (ie. not in any of the slots) and remove the pressure gauge. If you want to put a tarp on it, that's fine and will protect it from UV, but isn't 100% necessary :)

Chad, the bottle of antifreeze method you describe won't work :( The bottle will be buoyant and therefore just get pushed up by the ice, instead of being within the ice to 'take the hit' for the skimmer. Instead, fill an empty jug 1/2 way with gravel, sand or dirt - cap it and put it in upside down - this will keep the airfilled part of the jug in the ice :wink: Alternately, you can use pieces of foam 'noodles' to protect against the ice (as per Jason's suggestion in his 'how to close a pool' post in my sig. 8)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.