PH Test Color

Gary R

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2012
Hi to all;

When doing a PH test the color, after adding 5 drops of R-0014, is a very dark orange not matching any of the colors on the vial. I noticed this at the end of last season too.

Anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks,

Gary R.

Thanks for the reply!

Probably should have added:

FC=6
TA=60
CYA=15-20
CC=.5

Just opened pool yesterday and using pucks to bring CYA level up.

Will add some baking soda to get TA & PH up

Thank you,

Gary R.

The pucks are pushing your pH down lower. I would suggest Bleach and stop using them for the time being.

You may not get all the pH rise you need from the Baking Soda. I would suggest Borax or Washing Soda (Soda Ash) to raise the pH.

Thanks again for the reply!

Just put the pucks in yesterday and did use soda ash rather than baking soda. Will test again in a couple hours and see where we are.

Any chance the reagent is too old? They are from last year.

Regards,

Gary R.

I took the liberty of posting the IMG Link below. If you will click, copy, paste the IMG link, the photo will show up in the body of your post.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like the sample is not mixed, or there is a lighting fade out at the top of the vial. Can you confirm that? It's either that, or it's too shaded in this photo. Shaded out on the bottom of the test vial in this picture. My best guess at this pic is about 7.6-7.7

Just wanted to follow up on this thread:

Purchased a new bottle of r-0014 and it reads just fine. Seems like the older reagents had become concentrated and made the water a very dark orange.

Thanks,

Gary R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.