more questions about Alkalinity

Mar 24, 2015
Garland/Utah
I have High alkalinity both in the pool and source water and currently the pool TA is at 325 ppm.
I have learned that High TA can effect the chlorines ability for disinfection purposes. I have what appear to be algae showing up in the grout lines in part of the shallow end with most of the bather load,could that be a side affect of the High TA, and what would you suggest I do to eliminate that problem The FC is kept at a 3.0

High TA can affect your risk for calcium scaling and metal stains, but it shouldn't have any direct effect on getting algae. Indirectly it could push the PH way out of range, while if extreme enough could reduce the effectiveness of chlorine, but PH has to be way off before that happens.

Algae problems almost entirely revolve around the FC to CYA ratio. You didn't mention what your CYA level was. If CYA is zero, FC at 3 is more than sufficient. But as CYA comes up you soon get to the point where higher FC levels are required to prevent algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.